--- ritu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gautam Mukunda wrote:
> Because that seems to be normal group dynamics:
> Isolate a group, treat
> them with constant suspicion and act as if they are
> all potential
> terrorists and sooner, rather than later, there is a
> ground swell of
> support, within the same group, for the extremist
> movements. I have seen
> it happen in Kashmir, Punjab and the North-East.
> An Irish friend of mine tells me that this is also
> the pattern she saw
> in Ireland.

But, here are two potential problems.  One, we have a
real security threat that has to be dealt with.
India, despite its extended history of dealing with
terrorism, has never faced anything remotely like the
9/11 attack, so we (the US) have one that is different
in kind, as well as in scale, from that faced by other
countries.

Second, _the support is already there_.  People in
Muslim countries all over the world celebrated on
September 11th.  I've seen the videotape, and so have
most other people.  Opinion polls suggest that in much
of the Islamic world, Osama Bin Laden is a popular and
respected figure.

So I am arguing that it's time to treat Muslims as
moral actors - our moral equals.  They have the
ability to make moral choices - to choose freedom over
tyranny, peace over war, civilization over barbarism.
Large portions of the Islamic world have chosen to
support groups that use terrorism in the pursuit of
the vilest ends (we're not, after all talking about
the ANC here, which used terrorist tactics for
fundamentally just ends.  We're talking about people
who want to establish Taliban-like rule _over the
entire world_.)  That is their _choice_.  We, as
outsiders, need to demand that they choose
differently.  We certainly shouldn't accomodate it,
make ourselves more vulnerable to it, or not impose
consequences because of it when that choice impinges
upon us.

> Gautam, how many religio-political groups condemn
> their own
> lunatics/extremists loudly, clearly and constantly?
> For that matter, how
> many political organisations/groups do that?
> Such criticism becomes even more rare when there is
> a physical distance
> between the atrocities and the groups. I can't
> remember any Sikh groups
> decrying the murder of innocents in movement for
> Khalistan, can't think
> of a single Hindu group which condemned the Gujarat
> massacres last
> year..........

They they should be condemned for it.  Saying nothing
when a group commits barbarism in your name is the
same thing as accepting it.  As Dan pointed out,
plenty of groups _do_, in fact, condemn extremists who
use violence supposedly in their cause.  We in the US
see it all the time - so often, in fact, that it can
become a fairly major scandal when a group doesn't do
that.

Furthermore, it's one thing to fail to condemn, say,
the Earth Liberation Front when it burns down a ski
lodge.  That's bad, and when environmental groups fail
to do that it's a problem.  It's another when Muslim
organizations the world over justify the slaughter of
innocents in Israel.  But we see that over and over
again.  If Catholic terrorists were killing protestant
children and the Vatican didn't condemn them, I would
have a big problem with that.  But the Vatican _did_
condemn the IRA.  By contrast, over and over again
prominent Muslim clerics consistently excuse and
promote even viler terorrism against civilians all the
time.  If they turend against the terrorists, the
terrorists would lose much of their popular support.
But they will only do so when they have a reason to do
so, and only the outside world can try to create that
reason.  When we fail to make demands on the Muslim
world - when we constantly excuse them from making
demands and choices like this, we act as enablers for
what is rapidly becoming a culture-wide pathology.  I
mean this very seriously - that's why I argue about it
so much.  When the outside world (I'm thinking of much
of Europe in particular) constantly fails to demand
basic civilized behavior from the Muslim world,
constantly making excuses and protecting it from the
consequences of its _choices_, they act as enablers
and allow the situation to continue.

> Has the Muslim world ever stood up and said that the
> blowing up of
> Jewish infants is a good/acceptable idea? If yes,
> then it is certainly
> their responsibility to refute the statement and
> make whatever amends
> possible. If not, then do you think they might
> resent our assumption
> that all of them lack the basic humanitarian
> instincts to be repulsed by
> the death of infants?

Quite a few very prominent and important Muslim
clerics _do_ routinely support the terrorists.  But
even many of those who do not consistently fail to
condemn them.  It keeps happening, over and over
again, and too much of the Muslim world keeps failing
to condmen it.  So after a while, maybe their
resentment isn't an issue any more, because it starts
to become a real question about those basic
humanitarian instincts.  As far as I can tell, as long
as you're killing Jews and/or Americans, for portions
of the Muslim world anything you do is _just fine_.
As long as the moderate majority of the Muslim world
that we keep hearing about refuses to turn against the
extremists, then maybe they _aren't_ repulsed by the
massacre of infants.  There aren't many signs that
they are.  So they don't have any grounds for
resentment.  Again, people outside keep acting as
enablers.  Self-examination is hard.  You have to have
a good reason to do it.  As long as the outside world
keeps removing any reasons for that self-examination,
it won't happen.

A parallel from American politics would be what
happened to the conservative movement in the 1950s and
1960s.  The institutionalization of the New Deal under
a Republican President (Eisenhower) was a catastrophe
for American conservatives.  They had lost,
completely.  The consequence of that was Bill Buckley
founding National Review and explicitly dedicating
himself to expelling the John Birchers and
anti-Semites from the American conservative movement.
The long-term result of that decision on his part was
the election of Ronald Reagan in 1980 and,
effectively, the triumph of American conservatism.
But the reason Buckley did it was because no one was
out there saying it wasn't conservatives
responsibility to police their own movement and
protecting them from the consequence of sheltering the
lunatic fringe.  It was because American society gave
conservatives the choice of change or defeat and
irrelevance that the change happened.

> >  We are the ones _being_ attacked, not the
> > ones doing the attacking.  Episcopalians aren't
> > launching suicide bombing campaigns.  It seems to
> me
> > that the burden to prove bona fides should rest on
> the
> > other side of the scales right now.
>
> Who's 'we': A country? A religious group?
> Non-muslims?
> Who's on the other side of the scales: muslims?
> Extremists? Terrorists?

At the moment it's pretty much the non-Muslim world,
everywhere it comes into contact with the Muslim one,
be it the Israel, the US, India, China, or Russia
(with varying degrees of legitimate grievance on the
part of the Muslim world).  Islam's bloody borders, in
Sam Huntington's very apt phrase.  On the other side
are what people in the blogger world have accurately
named Islamofascists - radical Islamic groups seeking
to impose radical Islamic rule over, first, Islamic
societies, and then the rest of the world.  The way
the war ends depends upon the _choice_ of the rest of
the Muslim world - whether it will decisively turn
against the terrorist groups, or continue to turn a
blind eye to their sins.

Note - not the _outcome_ of the war.  The outcome of
the war is pretty much pre-ordained.  If this becomes
a full-scale war of civilizations (which is what Bin
Laden wants, after all), then the _outcome_ is that at
the end, we win.  Period.  But it can end happily for
the Muslim world - with Muslim countries free,
democratic, and wealthy.  Or it can end unhappily -
with the Islamic world effectively destroyed by
Western military power.  Which one of those happens is
a product of choices on the part of the Islamic
"moderates" as to whether to support the
Islamofascists or not.  Right now, they haven't made
the choice.  But the longer they are protected _from_
making that choice, the more they will do what they do
now - tacitly accept the actions of the extremists
without taking any actions to stop them.  And the
longer they do that, the higher the chances that it
will end in that terrible conflagaration.

> As for the burden of proving the bona-fides, well
> what bona-fides do you
> want them to prove?
> When did they lose their claim to these bona-fides?
> Who are they
> supposed to prove the same to?
> Also, what would consitute sufficient proof?

To the people being attacked in their name.  I want
them to prove that they _do not_ want to convert the
entire world to Islam by force, that they reject those
who do want to do that, and that they will help us
defeat those who do want that.  They lost that claim
when 40 years of Islamic terrorism produced support or
acceptance, not rejection on the part of large parts
of the Muslim world.  Sufficient proof would be these
societies turning on the terrorists, rejecting them
rhetorically (no more claims that 9/11 was a Jewish
conspiracy), rejecting them financially (no more
financial support for Al Qaeda), rejecting them in
every way and shape until the terrorist organizations
have been destroyed.

> I look forward to your answers to my above
> questions.
>
> Ritu

This war will be decided within the Muslim world.  We
in the outside world need to stop being enablers of
the pathologies that have allowed the terrorists to
flourish so far.  As long as the outside world
continues to do so, the Muslim "moderates" will not
act, because they won't have any incentive to do so.
Our responsibility is to stop being enablers.  Since
September 11th of 2001, the US and its allies have
taken up that responsibility.  It's time for the rest
of the world to do the same.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]