--- ritu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anyway, I digress. From where I sit, his view does
> seem to be the view
> of a vast silent majority of muslims. The worrisome
> thing, though, is
> that relentless pressure, suspicion, demonisation
> and heckling to prove
> their humanitarian credentials could easily change
> that.
>
> Ritu

Why?  I happen to agree with you about the beliefs of
the world's Muslims, but reasonable people could
easily _disagree_ with you, and say that the evidence
is that a large fraction of the world's Muslims -
possibly even a majority, but certainly a large
fraction - do support terrorism, have universalist
aspirations for their religion, and are willing to
gain those aspirations _by force_.  Certainly it is
striking that _even in the US_, probably the single
most successful country at assimilating other cultures
(Muslims included), some of the most prominent
Muslim-American organizations (CAIR, for example) act
as apologists for terrorist groups.  At some point,
isn't there a responsibility on the _Muslim_ world to
say that blowing up (for example) Jewish infants is
not acceptable?  So far, the Muslim world does not
seem to have lived up to that responsibility even a
tiny bit.  We are the ones _being_ attacked, not the
ones doing the attacking.  Episcopalians aren't
launching suicide bombing campaigns.  It seems to me
that the burden to prove bona fides should rest on the
other side of the scales right now.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]