From: "Dan Minette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Explanation
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:20:14 -0600

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sonja van Baardwijk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 4:12 AM Subject: Re: Explanation

> Doug Pensinger wrote: > > > For the information of those who haven't been on the list for very > > long, or who might not understand even though they have, the reason I > > do not respond to JDG is that he and I have had several less than > > civilized encounters and I decided after the last one (over a year > > ago) that the list would be better off if we did not interact. > > > > This is not an entirely selfless act as the aforementioned encounters > > tend to be unpleasant and stressfull and I'd just as soon do without > > even if it means missing a spirited debate (which I enjoy). > > > Well you've got my support and I have to say that I do the same. My > debate encounters with JDG (and strangly enough only with JDG) have not > been exactly civilised in the past either. And for that I am truly > sorry. But by now I've been ignoring him for a long time and it works > for me. Let me assure you that you get used to it even if you mis out on > a couple of debates. :o) Ever since I got the 'you are a nazi' as well > as a couple of other even less flattering insults from him I didn't see > any point in continued debate on his pet peeves over and over again. I > hold to the viewpoint that we oldtimers by now know where we stand. That > doesn't mean that I'd not be happy to discuss old enraging topics again > with others though. ;o)

I've noticed a rather interesting asymmetry.  People on the list who are
religious are expected to regularly read posts that proclaim them evil,
mentally defective, etc. and let the insults just slide off their backs.
People who are criticized by conservatives like JDG have the right to be
indignant.

I have no trouble with anyone deciding to killfile someone, ignore their
posts, etc.  That's perfectly reasonable.  But, its funny that even the
religious people expect that they should take regular insults with good
grace, while less insulting things written by JDG are the grounds for
righteous indignation.

Since when? In all seriousness, I've been equally indignant with JDG, William Goodall, Erik and The Fool over the last few years when I've felt they've been intolerant or arrogant. When have you not known the religious folks on this list to rise up en masse and slap down insults from the atheists? ;-)

Jon

Le Blog: http://zarq.livejournal.com