I think you need Israeli right-wing POV here ...

Ritu wrote
<<I'd say Israel's current army chief of staff and four ex-security
chiefs would know more about the situation there. And Moshe Ya'alon and
four of Israel's ex-security chiefs think that their policy is
counter-productive and intensifying the cycle of hatred and destruction,
breeding militancy instead of preventing it. They are also worried about
the effect the policy has had on Israel's polity and
economy.>>

The right way to judge such thing is by results. King Hussein got them.
President Asad got them. Our  policy *is* counter-productive, but for
the wrong reason. Zahal should have bombed Jenin instead of sending foot
soldiers in. Sheich Yasin should have gotten bigger bomb.

Gautam Mukunda wrote:
<< They have a better record than  India, though, and a threat
comparable to or worse  than ours.>>

Ritu
<<I don't quite understand what you refer to here. What does Israel have
a better record in? Human rights? Establishing peace? Neutralizing the
threat? Preventing further attacks?>>

India? All of the above.

About child's life vs torture of terrorist. There one piece of
information missing - our country's size. It's never "a child" - if it
is not your child, it's your relative's, or friend's, or neighbor's, or
somebody with whom you were in the same class in school/college, in same
unit in Army in same guided tour. It's possible, that you don't know the
victim of terrorist attack, but possibility that you don't know somebody
who knows him/her is very low. When intended victim of terrorist attack
has a face <SHRUG>. Russian proverb says: "Your own shirt is closest to
your body"

Iraq and Afghanistan. <SIGH> Israeli experience in Lebanon shows that
rice turns into bullets pretty fast. It also shows that leaving makes
things only worse. I hate the idea that soldiers are killed in Iraq. I
know they protect me and forever grateful.

Ilana from Israel