> I want our good Dr. Brin to contradict GURPS--again!
>
> The Garthlings chose their own cohorts, numans and chimpanzees.
>
> Clearly in violation of the rules as set up by GURPS.

I don't think its in violation of GURPS rules.  Its just a violation of
standard behavior.  Few pre-level-one clients would be *capable* of providing
any input into who they wanted as their patron.  Even if they could, few
would have the political option to do so.

Even in the context of _Uplift War_  "choosing" needs to be understood in
context.  The Gorillas were very impressed with the Thennanin ambasador, the
Uplift officials interpreted the Gorilla infatuation as a choice of patron.
It is the sort of thing that is *unique* in Galactic history and allowing the
Rousit to do the same would cheapen the symbolic import of the Garthlings as
Choosers.

> I want the same thing to happen with the Rousit.
>
> You remember the Rousit?

Barely.  They play a very minor role in the Jijo books, no?  Given your
interest I am guessing that their patrons were Hoon?