In a message dated 12/13/2003 6:43:58 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> > The Garthlings chose their own cohorts, numans and chimpanzees.
>  >
>  > Clearly in violation of the rules as set up by GURPS.
>
>  I don't think its in violation of GURPS rules.  Its just a violation of
>  standard behavior.  Few pre-level-one clients would be *capable* of
> providing
>  any input into who they wanted as their patron.  Even if they could, few
>  would have the political option to do so.
>
>  Even in the context of _Uplift War_  "choosing" needs to be understood in
>  context.  The Gorillas were very impressed with the Thennanin ambasador,
the

>  Uplift officials interpreted the Gorilla infatuation as a choice of
patron.

>  It is the sort of thing that is *unique* in Galactic history and allowing
> the
>  Rousit to do the same would cheapen the symbolic import of the Garthlings
as

>  Choosers.

Well, no..not exactly the same situation. The Garthlings got to choose their
patron, as well as their cohorts.

Only the cohort(s) for the Rousit.

The current Rousit cohort has to be some politically unimportant neutral
race, who's willing to go along with whatever the Hoon want to do. That,
naturally, would be to turn the Rousit into dour serious little accountant copies of
hoons.

And I can't see Mudfoot as allowing this to happen.

In a perfect fit of rational stubborness, Alvin "buys" the Uplift Ceremony
equipment that was left on Garth. He can afford it. His journal was published on
Earth as soon as the Galactic Institutes ruled that no actions would be taken
against any race or person involved with what took place on Jijo.

And because of the Tandu... er...um., "actions," an Uplift Ceremony would be
a good distraction.

(He got his first "unexpected" royalty check the day after his well known one
year on Hurmuphta journal entry..)

There are 42 Hoon home or colony planets. Alvin was having daily visits from
just the population of Hurumphta.

So......         ...better than Bill Gates, shall we say.

The Rousit, not being insane, choose the Tymbrimi instead of the Tytlal as
their new stage one cohorts.  Also the Forski, for their first true joke.

(They heard the musical "duel" between a hoon actor and a Forski.)

The joke is on the Soro. By law they can't accompany the Forski to the Rousit
homeworld, Arilarah, and the Forski just can't keep secrets when not subdued
by the Soro.

---all somewhat approved by our good Dr. Brin. The timing for all of this is
years away from the present. Both real and in the Uplift Universe. The time
for all of this is right when the last members of the skiff crew are being
found, or are coming out of hiding.

As for what the stage one Rousit can and can't do...

I don't see them talking yet--they're still too small.

But many can see tytlal glyphs on a level better than a Jijo hoonish sage.

Note: all Rousit on Hurumphta are the 'rejects' to the Hoon breeding program.

They're trying to breed out their sense of humor.

And I don't think I'm being very original. From what Dr. Brin set up, I can't
see things being much different. A leads to B leads to C, etc.

William Taylor