> Which makes the words of one famous Jew all the more impressive: "Father
> forgive them, for they know not what they do."

As I've said, Judaism teaches God can't forgive sins against people - only
the person sinned against can.

If I sound bitter against Christians, some of that is in the heat of
argument. I'm perfectly aware that most Christians today are not likely to perpetrate
violence against anyone. And any individual Christian today is not responsible
for what some Christians did in the past.

But it DID happen. Some Christians - too many Christians - DID murder Jews -
countless thousands of them - for the crime of wanting to be Jewish. We can't
forget that. We dare not forget it.

I can't forgive the murderers because they didn't hurt me. Only the victims
can forgive, and then only if the victimizer truly repents and asks for
forgiveness. Which I don't think happened.

The thing is, I think Christians should be willing to face up to what was
done in their name in the past and try to show some understanding for Jewish
suspicions. We never deserved what happened to us, and yet it happened anyway, and
you can't simply wish that away or lecture us to be forgiving and forgetful.
Uh-uh, sorry. Doesn't work that way.

Want forgiveness? Act like you mean it. Help us fight the evil, don't pretend
it's not there or bore us with nostrums about, oh, that's all in the past,
can we all get along? From where I'm sitting, from where most Jews sit, we're
not sure. Sorry if that pisses you off, but that's the way it is.

Tom Beck

www.mercerjewishsingles.org

"I always knew I'd see the first man on the Moon. I never dreamed I'd see the
last." - Dr Jerry Pournelle