----- Original Message -----
From: "Travis Edmunds" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: Reviews for Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ"

> Once again Robert, you have constructed a very relevant and poetic
response.
> However relevant it may be though, it still buys into assumption
sets.

I used to make such arguments as you are making when I was young too.
The problem with such arguments is that they can only come from a lack
of experience. It is noble for the young to question authority and to
question assumptions. And as you get older you tend to be less patient
with arguments you discarded long long ago. So I hope you can forgive
us "old folks" for our impatience with your anti-authoritarianism.<G>
Especially since we do not offer authority. We offer our experience,
which I don't expect you to have any more appreciation for than we did
when we were young.
(It pains me to find myself preaching like an old fart)<G>

>While
> your first paragraph, being quite anthropological, is relevant, one
still
> needs some abstract concept of God. It's what it all hearkens back
to, and I
> reject that.

Let me spell my meaning more plainly.

Morality does not prove the existence of "God".
But the same basic morality espoused by religion is actually a set of
self-evident rules for social, sentient beings.

If, there is a "God", then he placed us in a universe where these
truths are obtainable and created us in such a way that we require
these truths as a part of our social structure.

If, there is no "God", then we evolved in a universe where these
truths are self-evident and our nature is such that we require these
truths as a part of our social structure.

I don't see any discrepency with either view of reality since reality
*is* what it *is*.

> And forgive me my presumptuousness, in stating the "man-made evil"
in a way
> that declared me to be the sole receptacle of that knowledge.

There is the tendency for each of us to ride our own subjective
beasts.

>Or perhaps
> more accurately, that concept. You see I admit the possibility that
evil is
> exactly what we are told it is; I just don't believe that. I'm quite
the
> agnostic fellow you see, and I like to think, that I think about
things to
> such an extent, that I have seen all angles as well as I can. And
when
> people make certain comments, that don't seem based in rationality,
I get to
> thinking that they themselves aren't seeing the big picture.
>
> Perhaps I should give people more credit......
>
> Then again........

There is a very human tendency also to believe we are the sole "soul"
existing in a world of automatons.
One of the more difficult lessons in life is to find the "soul" in
another.
Especially if the "other" is somehow in opposition to you.

xponent
Soul Warrior Maru
rob