--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In a message dated 2/12/2004 10:43:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Also, to understand ones disfavor one must put it in historical
> > context. In the 17 & 1800s there was much disdane for Jewish
> > comunities becouse they did something specific that was
considered at
> > the time to be immoral.

> They lent or barrowed money for intrest.
> Only because they were barred from doing much else.

This is a bit of a rediculous converstaion to be having. We can argue
about documentation, and then about the sources of that documentation
for days. In the end there is the situation that we will not find
disagreement on, and that is that they were the only ones lending and
barrowing money for intrest. I know there are accounts which suggest
that they did this specificaly becouse it was the only option they
had, but in that timeframe it would be the same as us saying now that
Gang Bangers Gang Bang becouse it is the only option they have. The
practice, was considerd just about as moraly reprehinsable, and akin
to theft.

> Now
> > we do not think anything of such a practice becouse it is no-
longer
> > considered by our culture to be vial. But you must take anti-
semitism
> > at the time in context.
> OK lets take it context. What mass murder, mass expulsion,denial of
property
> rights,seizure of property over the course of 1500 hundred years
was taken out
> of context.
> The jews were hated because they were jews.

I think you are wrong about that. In the end it was raceism, but it
did not I think start out that way. What was done was terible.
However, (and unfortunatly) it was not really very unique. Many other
peoples have been treated the same or worse in that timeframe. And it
is not the atrocities that I was saying were taken out of context,
but rather the way in which what led up to those atrocities is
currently being protrayd. If we look at all of the situation, and not
simply the ugly climax, we can better understand, and prevent it from
happening again. One of the first steps to this though, is
forgiveness, and a kind of letting go. To let the past be the past,
and live, not like a victem, but as a partner in assuring that such a
thing does not re-ocure.

> . The resentment then came from the fact that one group was,
> > by doing something akin to being illegal, taking money away from
> > everyone else.
> You should really read some history. This post is truly outragious.

I think you might want to do some history reading yourself. We may in
fact disagree on some subtelties, but to truly understand the
situation we must be able to comprehend the actions of all sides.
Sometimes that means nor revileing from the evil and ignoring it, but
comprhending how evil became what it is. Would you not aggree that
understanding the persecution requires, not only insite into the
horibleness of being persecuted, but also the horibleness of the
persecutor?