--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In a message dated 2/13/2004 2:28:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> However, your view seems to me to be a bit of a simplistic one.
> Political winds change, different groups with different opinions
move
> in and out of power. Just because one set of leaders allows a
> practice to be legal, does not mean that the next group of leaders
> will accept this. Yes it did build to the breaking point, in much
the
> same way as what happened to the aristocracy in France. Revolutions
> have a tendency to be grotesquely violent. (This is one reason
> democracy is so important.)
>
> The question then becomes, was this done on purpose to build
support
> for the persecution, or was the persecution a result. One describes
> dastardly plot, the other simply history. But knowing which it was
is
> really not important to understanding the beliefs and feelings of
the
> common gentile at the time. They _were_ getting screwed, and they
> knew (at least in part) who was doing it to them. This was not a
case
> of blind racial hatred of the sort you get from modern skinheads,
and
> it was not the racial superiority white slave owners felt. It was a
> class of people who felt they had been wronged by another class. In
> their simple ignorance they attributed the wrong-doing to a race,
or
> religion, rather than to individuals. Humans can be very dumb and
> very horrible in this way.

___reply from Bemmzim
> Once again this is the most absurd line of reaoning possible. The
jews were
> hated and the whole jewish banker thing was just an excuse for most
people.

You assume that Millions of average people had a blind hatred, and
had found justification any way they could, simply to persecute a
group they had blind hatred for.

That sounds a bit like raceism to me. Have you not vilified a whole
people?

>By
> the way no one was getting screwed. The jews did not loan money at
outragous
> interest rates.

That is besides the point. At the time lending at all was considered
sinfull. Not only that but it introduced time value of money.
Basicaly then, if one did not participate in what they considered to
be sinfull, there money would become worth less and less. To the
average person of the time, this looked like theivery. For if their
money was loosing value, where was it going? They were being forced
to sin, or have money taken away.

>They were the necessary glue of international commerce.  They
> were able to do this because jews were widely dispersed spoke the
same language
> and felt a sense of community that allowed for safe and fair trade.
Now why
> was this? Because jews were intrinsically smarter about money more
greedy.

Are you saying that Jews are or were some how supperior? sounds like
raceism again. Yes they did not have some silly religious restriction
on the way and manner the handled money, they also had a strong
comunity sense. Yes they made more money in this way than others.
Does that make them supperior?

To the average person of the time, it was clear that they were
makeing money, and devaluing money doing somehting the average person
could not (in good faith) do.

>Here
> is another explanation. The jews never assimilated because the
christians
> would not allow them to. They spoke the same language and
maintained the same
> customs because they were excluded from the larger christian
society. Look at
> history.
>Whenever jews were allowed to assimilate they did so. Not all but
many.
> In the process they either converted or lost there attachment to
ancient
> rituals. The sense of community did not disappear because there was
and is always a
> place where jews were persecuted for being jews.

Once again we can argue over the reality of that. I am not talking
about how it all turned out, but how the average non-jew of the time
felt, or thought. You see, to stop it from happening again, we have
to empathize with them as well. We have to know why those who simply
id nothing, simply did nothing. We have to understand the whole
situation. If we don't, it might happen again. A people might start
believing that they have been so wronged for so long, that anything
they do in retaliation, or frustration is justified. What is worse, a
large number of that group may simply do nothing and let it happen.