On Sunday 2004-02-15 15:48, Julia Thompson wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Erik Reuter wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 03:23:57PM -0600, Julia Thompson wrote:
> > > Yes, but it can be done somewhat more gently than how it was done on
> > > this list earlier today.  And doing it more gently will get you a more
> > > positive reaction than immediately jumping down their throat will.
> > > Enough gentle prods will help wear down the prejudices, while sharper
> > > ones will just make people more defensive, and maybe *reinforce* the
> > > prejudices.
> >
> > Do you have evidence that this is true? It seems to me that the subtle
> > approach often has little effect in changing people's minds, while
> > making strong statements can grab someone's attention and get them
> > to really think about an issue.  I would agree that the approach you
> > explain will sometimes be the most effective course, but not always,
> > maybe not even usually.
>
> It has been my experience that given a choice between one massive
> hitting-over-the-head kind of confrontation and much gentler prods over
> the course of 6 months or so, the gentler prods will have caused more of a
> change in mindset 12 months after the initial event.
>
> Now, my experience on this is limited to probably only about 50 people
> I've been in close contact with over the course of my life, but it turned
> out to be just as good a tactic in dealing with the cynical engineer as it
> was in dealing with the somewhat scatterbrained artiste.
>
> And sometimes there is just no way a mind will be changed on a particular
> subject if you keep arguing with that person; when that happens, the best
> thing to do is move on and try not to discuss that subject.  Saying things
> that are tangental to that subject in discussions of other things might
> help some, but confronting a subject head-on with someone who has their
> position very deeply entrenched is more likely to make them dig in deeper
> with it.  (I have seen this most notably in a couple of people
> significantly older than myself.)
>
>       Julia
>
> post didn't come through on the account I made the original commend on,
> sigh

Julia, everything I know about persuasion as a science confirms that you are
correct.  Non-confrontational persuasion works best.  Outright attacks hardly
work at all.

Nevertheless, my feeling has long been that the non-confrontational techniques
taught in psychology, social work, communication, and marketing classes are
highly manipulative.  They are overtly manipulative political tactics
designed to move from argumentation to conversationalism.  I too prefer being
on the recieving end of an "I-message" ... until I notice my interloculator
has changed from a socratic exchange to manipulative psycho-therapy.

There are times where socratic engagement is stupid but optimally persuasive
engagement is immoral.

Is there a difference between marketing and debate?  When, if ever, does an
economically rational person opt for socratic debate over friendlier, more
persuasive diological engagement?  Is there a conflict between standards for
honesty and truth on the one hand and satisfying relationships on the other.