> Trent Shipley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>
> Julia, everything I know about persuasion as a
> science confirms that you are
> correct.  Non-confrontational persuasion works best.
>  Outright attacks hardly work at all.

Agreed.  Yet the shock value of an attack/open
confrontation does occasionally have merit, and
actually gets a desired response; I'd estimate its
usefulness as a tactic in my interactions with
patients at roughly less than 1%.  And I use it *very*
carefully, in select situations only (just 1 backfire
comes to mind, and several misfires).

> Nevertheless, my feeling has long been that the
> non-confrontational techniques
> taught in psychology, social work, communication,
> and marketing classes are
> highly manipulative.  They are overtly manipulative
> political tactics
> designed to move from argumentation to
> conversationalism.  I too prefer being
> on the recieving end of an "I-message" ... until I
> notice my interloculator
> has changed from a socratic exchange to manipulative
> psycho-therapy.

Intent counts a lot, for me, when I am on the
receiving end of manipulation; almost always (~99+%)
when my friends are covertly trying to change my mind,
their intention is my 'improvement, betterment or
advantage' -- as they see it, of course!  So even if I
get annoyed, it's only momentary, because I know that
they really do want me to do well and be happy.  OTOH,
anyone trying to sell me anything (literally) does
much better with a direct approach.

> There are times where socratic engagement is stupid
> but optimally persuasive engagement is immoral.

Hmm...I'd say it's only 'immoral' if what you are
trying to persuade the other to do/believe is to their
disadvantage, or of course if you lie or deliberately
mislead them.  And if it is to your advantage, but
neutral for them, it's on very shakey ground as well.

> Is there a difference between marketing and debate?
> When, if ever, does an
> economically rational person opt for socratic debate
> over friendlier, more
> persuasive diological engagement?  Is there a
> conflict between standards for
> honesty and truth on the one hand and satisfying
> relationships on the other.

My bias is always for the 'friendly' approach, but I
do modify that in cases where the other person is
mistrustful of my intent, or clearly wants "just the
facts, ma'am."

This abstract on negotiations from Harvard Business
School has some interesting points:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=14619152&dopt=Abstract
"What stands between you and the yes you want?
According to negotiation experts David Lax and James
Sebenius, executives face obstacles in three common
and complementary dimensions. The first dimension is
tactics, or interactions at the bargaining table. The
second is deal design, or the ability to draw up a
deal at the table that creates lasting value. And the
third is setup, which includes the structure of the
negotiation itself. Each dimension is crucial in the
bargaining process, but most executives fixate on only
the first two: 1-D negotiators focus on improving
their interpersonal skills at the negotiating
table--courting their clients, using culturally
sensitive language, and so on. 2-D negotiators focus
on diagnosing underlying sources of value in a deal
and then recrafting the terms to satisfy all parties.
In this article, the authors explore the
often-neglected third dimension. Instead of just
playing the game at the bargaining table, 3-D
negotiators reshape the scope and sequence of the game
itself to achieve the desired outcome..."

In this mathematical model of marriage success, which
I happened to read just today,
http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/82/97196.htm?printing=true
""When couples whose marriages are stable over time
talk about an area of contention or disagreement,
their discussions have five times as many positive
comments or expressions as negative. In couples who
eventually headed to divorce, ratio of
positive-to-negative was 0.8 to 1," says psychologist
John Gottman, PhD, a noted marriage expert who
conceived the mathematical formula and enlisted
Murray's mathematical skills to help develop it some
13 years ago.

"The scores for these ratios are based on two coding
systems that Gottman developed -- a checklist of 13
behaviors scored for the speaker, and nine behaviors
that are scored for the listener on each turn at
speech, in both contentious discussions as well as any
type of conversation...Some of the most significant
factors were the nonverbal cues..."

And: "Basically, in good relationships people
pussy-foot around each other. They think about how
their partner is going to react before they act or
speak."

I think the old (Chinese?) saying about 'he who is
deaf to a shout, strains to hear a whisper' applies as
well.  None of us likes to be shouted at -- unless
it's "Get out of that car's way!" or some such.  :)

Debbi
Speak Sofly And - Carry A Spare Megaphone? Maru  ;)