--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
<snip>
> I don't see how
> permitting two adults who love each other to
> solemnize that love in a legal
> relationship can possibly "threaten" the institution
> of marriage; if anything, it
> shows just how strong the belief in marriage is. And
> besides, what's more
> "threatening," anyway: two gay people making a
> commitment that lasts years, or
> Britney Spears on a whim marrying some dope for a
> few hours and then ditching
> him? Why is it legal for her, and not for a
> committed, loving, responsible same-sex couple?

Dang!  When I saw this thread, *I* wanted to bring up
the "But Brittany's 54-hour marriage _is_ legal?!"
Ah, well.  ;)

<serious>
A couple of decades-and-odd-years ago, I thought that
inter-racial marriage was OK for two adults, but it
was unfair to any child produced because of the
prejudice against biracial children (at the time I was
living in the deep South).  A decade ago, the same
could be said for children of gay couples, unless the
family was living in an accepting city such as San
Fran, New York, or Austin, TX.

Now we have many Tiger Woods, and being multi-racial
is not only acceptable, but in some cases even "cool."
[frex being able to claim Native American heritage
here in America, or aboriginal blood in Australia]
I strongly suspect the same will happen with children
of gay couples; yet someday it will only be one
identifier among many, like 'living in a red brick
house' or 'having brown hair.'

I'd be fine with calling all state-recognized couples
"civil unions," and religiously-sanctioned unions
"marriage" -- of course churches/temples/etc. that
accept gay members would then be able to join gay
couples 'in matrimony.'  [<grin> Even if no future
matron is involved.]  To deny same-sex couples the
protection of legal and medical rights granted
heterosexual couples is both unfair and devastating --
I have seen the dying wishes of one partner-of-decades
ignored in favor of a blood family member's override
(never mind that there had been practically no contact
with any blood relatives since 'coming out').

The wording of the current FMA does seem ambiguous
enough to negate potential state-sanctioned 'civil
unions.'  And frankly it smells to me like the
Prohibition Amendment: if passed, it will be stupidly
contentious, and eventually overturned.

One of the local (Colorado Springs) folks from _Focus
on the Family_, in a recent TV interview, stated that
'this issue is the most serious facing the United
States today!'  Seems to me employment, education,
healthcare and of course terrorism are among the many
issues of much greater importance we face.  He also
worried that this was the first step toward polygamy
and other 'perversions.'  <scratches head>  Guess he's
missed the news about various polygamists in Utah and
elsewhere...  (And if we lived in a society where
women greatly outnumbered men for some reason, there
might be a legitimate need for such contracts.  What I
found so repugnant about the most recent case in the
general news - Green, IIRC? - was that a girl of 14 or
so was "married" (with her mother already married to
the same man!) to some POS middle-aged geezer who
wasn't even supporting his many children, rather his
"wives" collected welfare to get by.)

Debbi
who did not come to these views without a great deal
of thought, and after having seen a great deal of
unnecessary grief and suffering