At 02:49 PM 2/27/2004 -0700 Michael Harney wrote:
>Are sterile heterosexual couples denied marriage?  What if the couple does
>not want children?  IOW, is having children a requirement for marriage?

Of course not..... if it were, that would necessitate a post facto way of
invalidating childless marriages - which would be awkward, to say the
least.    Moreover, the phenomenon of "childless marriages" is pretty much
a recent one, so there has not been much action by society to address them.

And of course, an infertile heterosexual couple can adopt a child while
meeting that child's reasonable expectations for a mother and a father.   A
homosexual couple, by definition, cannot.

JDG