From: Deborah Harrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Call for administrative action
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:08:39 -0800 (PST)

> Anywhoo, if you don't mind, could you tell me a
> little more about our different directions?

Oh, dear, I don't have those posts anymore...but one
issue had to do with the existence of God (I had never
questioned that until sometime in college), of which I
was absolutely certain, and quite vehement about it.
(Now, I'm still certain, but acknowledge that there is
no proof whatsoever, and figure that the Divine must
have a good -even warped! - sense of humor.)

Do you really believe that, or are you just being witty? Understand of course, that I'm not trying to instigate another argument about the existence of God. It's just genuine curiosity. Besides, the whole argument is ultimately futile, and Robert had a nice summation of the whole situation a few weeks ago anyway.

Another
was that 'absolute certainty' about most things/issues

Question: Do I really come off like that? I mean, I can certainly see people seeing that in me from time to time, but the fact is I usually only jump into a topic if I am indeed somewhat "certain" of what I'm going to say. You know? And it's funny, because most of the time I'm the one arguing against the people who spout "absolute certainty". Perhaps though my view is distorted (view of myself) due to a conflict of interest!! I am after all working for myself. Either way, I'd like to hear what you have to say.

-- and my conviction that I wouldn't be changing my
mind just because of experience*

I think we are, or in this instance, were, similar. That is definitely a good example of how I *sometimes* think.

(oh, was I wrong! :P
).  The world seemed to be much more black-and-white
to me then, while now I discern multiple shadings of
gray.

I have never seen ANYTHING to be purely black & white. Unless it was some "spur-of-the-moment" biological reaction to something...

It is a much tougher world-view, because I see
various facets of issues, and cannot easily dismiss
others' opinions without at least trying to understand
them.

That's interesting. Interesting because I see some similarity in our thinking, but we have different approaches to things. In the above instance, I certainly would see various facets of issues. In fact, I can't think any other way! However, I would without a doubt EASILY dismiss someone's opinion, if that opinion was based on a blind stand behind some issue that was seen as purely black & white by that person. You have probably seen me do this many a time. And perhaps that's where the "absolute certainty" thing comes from...I dunno.

I really do miss that sense of surety, at
times: is gaining complexity worth the loss of such
purity?

"Old Euclid"

Old Euclid drew a circle
On a sand-beach long ago.
He bounded and enclosed it
With angles thus and so.
His set of solemn graybeards
Nodded and argued much
Of arc and of circumference,
Diameter and such.
A silent child stood by them
From morning until noon
Because they drew such charming
Round pictures of the moon.

--Vachel Lindsay--

*Note that I do not say "age," because merely growing older doesn't confer any wisdom; without living, making decisions and mistakes, and recovering from those, there is little mental or emotional growth.

Tis true. You learn most from experience. And experience entails making mistakes.

That's what I recall...and no cracks about memory, you young whippersnapper! <huge grin at the memory of dashing about, cracking the bullwhip my grandfather'd given me, and yelling "Hiiigh-YA!">

Debbi
By Second Grade I Was A Confirmed Whip-Wielder Maru  ;)

Ouch!!

-Travis