> Gary Denton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Deborah Harrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snippage>

> > Debbi
> > who subscribes to the 'gourami fish theory' of
> >mating

> ????  That I would have to see ;-)
>
> Breeding gouramis can be a tricky issue though, as
> they can be
> aggressive towards and even kill the females....
> ....If she is ready to mate and the male is not too
> aggressive in his
> pursuits (some males are just not mateable at all
> because they will
> beat up even females are responsive)....

> Real Kinky
> Unless you mean kissing gouramis, who do not build a
> bubble nest but
> just just start kissing along each others sides and
> get excited until
> thousands of sticky eggs are released and then
> fertized all over the tank.

<grin>
It was indeed kissing gouramis, but because I recalled
reading that the 'kissing' behaviour was actually a
'sizing-up' of the potential mate; weaker fish were
chased away as unfit, while two 'equals' would find
each other suitable and mate.  I don't recall where I
read that (it was quite some time ago!), and was not
able to find anything really corroborating it on the
net.  Some articles stated that only males 'kissed' in
establishing dominance, others that it was to remove
parasites or feed on algae, others that only
males/females exhibited this behavior...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=968
http://www.aquariacentral.com/fishinfo/fresh/kisser.htm
http://mikejacobs.50megs.com/SecretKissingGourami.html
[from the last:]
"There are several theories as to why Helostoma
temmincki kisses, but actual scientific proof seems to
be lacking. As L. P. Aronson states that assumptions
are often made about the nature of aggressive and
reproductive behavior without adequate evidence about
what is actually taking place. Three main theories
seem to be: 1) That kissing is an aggressive action
derived from the formation of territories and social
organizations. 2) That it is an act of courtship
and/or presexual behavior. 3) That it is merely a
habitual play trait, characteristic of other fishes
also. A more recent suggestion claims that may
possibly be a method by which the fish remove tiny
parasites from each others mouths. An extensive
research in the future may finally solve this mystery;
until that time, however, this strange little ritual
remains the secret of Helostoma temmincki...."

This researcher's viewpoint could apply to cichlids -
or us:
http://www.sru.edu/depts/artsci/bio/scb/scbres.htm
"4. How do aggressive and courtship motivations and
behavior result in successful pair formation in
sexually monomorphic cichlid species?  This is, in
some sense, the most persistent question in my
research, and one that has been pursued by researchers
since the 1930s. I don't think the answer lies in the
traditionally examined realm of simple, sexually
dimorphic coloration, olfactory cues, behavioral
stereotypy, or auditory cues. All have been
investigated. Instead, the process may be essentially
dynamic, and its "local unpredictability" an inherent
component of the dynamic interactions between the
sexes. I would like to know the basics of the decision
rules that yield this unstable behavioral system..."

> Perhaps this subscription to the "gourami fish
> theory of mating"
> relates to your lowered expectations?

<snort of amusement>
Exactly the opposite -- I want an equal!
<scratches side-of-face>
And, um, well...if he _wasn't_ my equal, I'd drive him
away from my territory; not trying to be mean, ya see,
but why would I settle for a guy I'd have to stifle
myself for?

Debbi
Locally Unpredictable Maru   ;)