> Robert Seeberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [Snip everything for the sake of a tangent]
>
> The question going through my mind is : Are genetic
> imperatives rational?

Not at all.  Just look at how insane MAD war is/was,
although in caveman days it made genetic sense to wipe
out a competing tribe in times of severe privation
(say many years of drought and famine).

> I'm going to take it for granted that Erik is
> arguing from a
> moral/ethical point of view, and in that he is
> correct in describing Gary's scenario as irrational.
>
> But from a genetic point of view I think the answers
> are very
> different. Once you have reproduced, a parents sole
> (in terms of
> genetics) purpose in life is to protect ones
> offspring. (And/or to produce more.)
>
> Another idea that comes to mind is that morality and
> ethics are new
> things that have only existed for a few thousand
> years, but genetic
> imperatives have been around for at least a billion
> years.

Our brains likewise have many many millions of years
steeped in "reptile" mode & function [food, sex], many
millions of years in "mammal" mode [food, sex,
offspring, social hierarchy], millions in primate mode
[food, sex, offspring, social hierarchy and society,
curiosity/fun], and much less as _Homo sapiens_ the
thinking, dancing, singing ape.

[The above is a stick-figure drawing, but brain
structure and function can be thought of in these
terms; this is from a classroom lecture on the 'hind,
mid- and fore' brain:
http://www.cbn-atl.org/edu_resources/classroom/brainintro.pdf

"...Although all vertebrates have three main brain
regions, the forebrain, midbrain, and hindbrain, there
are many adaptations by these classes in their
neuronal structures. For example, the components of
the cerebellum vary greatly across classes. Fish have
the most primitive cerebellar organization since they
do not need to support their weight on land. The
amphibian and reptilian cerebellums are quite similar
and are intermediate in complexity. The most
complicated cerebellums are present in birds and
mammals. Both the mammalian and avian cerebellums are
convoluted (folded) and the mammalian cerebellum has a
much more complicated pattern of development. The
avian cerebellum has a central region that is highly
developed for flying while the mammalian cerebellum
has a lateral (sideways) expansion. Bat brains have
one of the most interesting cerebellums since they
have both the lateral expansion that you see in
mammals and the highly developed central region for
flying. One can see that as the cerebellum increases
in complexity across classes of vertebrates, the
ability to perform more complicated tasks and finer
control of movements were developed.

"Although not obvious from an external examination of
the brain, the limbic system shows great differences
across vertebrate classes. In fact, some scientists
believe that the limbic system did not truly exist
until mammals that would suggest that the lower
classes of animals do not have emotions the same as
mammals. However, even fish can learn to avoid
areas where punishments were given so it is likely
that the functions of the limbic system are
present in these other classes in some modified form.
The largest distinction among the vertebrate classes
is the expansion of the cerebral cortex. The forebrain
is the area of the brain that one can see the most
changes in across the vertebrate classes. Mammals have
the relatively new structure of a neo-cortex that is
not present in lower animals. The changes in the
forebrain across the classes are some of the most
prominent differences in the various classes. In fact,
the frontal lobes of the cortex, and specifically the
prefrontal cortex at the very rostral (front) part of
the frontal lobes are more elaborate and larger in
humans than other primates. The prefrontal cortex is
important for planning, complex intellectual
activities such as sorting a deck of cards and the
emotional response to pain..."

Emotions evolved as a survival mechanism; fear insures
speeding away from danger, anger insures the ability
to fight when one must, love insures the survival of
offspring to maturity.  None of these gut feelings are
absolutely logical, but that does not diminish their
impact or continued necessity.  Instead of dismissing
them, they should be utilized
_for_what_they_are_worth_; not to be blindly obeyed,
but not to be ignored either.  In working with both
people and horses, I pay careful attention to what the
other makes me _feel_, because that is valuable
information in helping me deal with the problem or
situation.

Debbi
Limbic Limbo "Lower, Now!" Maru   ;)