On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 01:14:41 -0400, Keith Henson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 05:05 PM 26/07/04 -0700, you wrote:
> > > Robert Seeberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > [Snip everything for the sake of a tangent]
> > >
> > > The question going through my mind is : Are genetic
> > > imperatives rational?
> >
> >Not at all.  Just look at how insane MAD war is/was,
> >although in caveman days it made genetic sense to wipe
> >out a competing tribe in times of severe privation
> >(say many years of drought and famine).
>
> Even stranger, it made genetic sense under these conditions to make a
> suicidal attack on a stronger tribe where the chances were very high *ever*
> warrior in the weaker tribe was gonna get killed.  You have to grok both
> Hamilton's inclusive (kin) selection and the well known tendency for human
> tribe to consider the women of a defeated tribe to be booty for this to
> make sense.

The "Big Daddy" theory of human evolution!

"One of the anthropological shocks of the 21st century was the
discovery that the gene pool of central Asian men is dominated by such
a limited range of Y-chromosome  characteristics that the only
conclusion is that one small group of closely related men dominated
impregnation across the region about 800 years ago.  They were
probably all Mongols closely related to Genghis Khan...

"Studies by geneticists from Italy, Portugal and Spain recently
suggested that sexual dominance by very few men may have been
widespread before about 18 to 12 thousand years ago, around the
beginning of the warming that closed the last glacial epoch
(Dupanloup, I. et al. 2003.  A recent shift from polygyny to monogamy
in humans is suggested by the analysis of worldwide Y-chromosome
diversity.

"...Dupanloup et al. show that the rise of agriculture around 10
thousand years ago seems to coincide with a breakdown of massive
polygamy and more common monogamy.  There are other possible
interpretations of the data.  In a largely monogamous society, if
males stayed where they were born while women moved to live in their
mates' home area, men would be closely related to others in their
area, eventually resulting in very similar Y-chromosomes being shared
by many.  Different migration patterns or early deaths for most men
while hunting may also have led to the genetic bias that is causing
great discussion among evolutionary geneticists."

http://www.earth-pages.com/archive/Anthropology.asp

October 2003

Of course, socio-biology isn't destiny.
--