JDG wrote:
I was seriously asking how priests got involved in contraception. You have proven so knowledgeable about the Catholic religion, and been able to explain much that seemed a mystery to me in the past - I figured there was a good chance you knew the answer...

Basically, since the time of Moses, the clerical class has regulated all
sorts of aspects of Judaeo-Christian life.   Heck, opposition to abortion
goes as far back as Hippocrates, so it is unsurprising that Jews and
Christians would adopt it.... and until the scientific discovery of ovum
and sperm, there probably wasn't much theological difference between
abortion and contraception.

So, in essence, it comes back to the idea of contraception = abortion?
That traditionally the clerical class had this position, and as new forms of contraception became available, it has just sort of held the same position?
I can see how that might have happenned, but I'm curious how the Catholics see it different to all the other sects. Probably because only the Catholics have retained a continuous line of leadership to adapt its teachings to societal changes, where the protestants have been left alone to do as they please? Just guessing...

Cheers
Russell C.