Julia wrote:

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:57:57 -0700, Nick Arnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It brought back a great memory of the first time I managed to print a sine wave with asterisks on a (30 baud>) Teletype.

Reminds me of the story of someone who attempted to log into a BBS at 300 baud by whistling. He'd get as far as the login prompt but couldn't whistle a valid username and password....

Heh, we got a computer on board the sub in late 1977 I think it was. It was a monitor/cpu/keyboard in one with 2k of memory and a (really slow) mag tape cassette. It was made by Tektronics and it came with Basic and a full set of manuals.

I didn't have a clue about programming and when I got to a place in the manual where it told me x=x+1 I was completely befuddled - trying to understand the algebra.

D'oh...

--
Doug