> From: Nick Arnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > Perhaps there's a 'How things ought to work' collory to the 'Golden
age'
> > meme.
>
> In my experience, "oughts," "shoulds" and their ilk are the seeds of
> resentment.  I guess we agree on this.
>
> > Actually I was mostly just trying to criticize his remarks about how
Mr.
> > Gates is taking away the ability of future entrepreneurs to do what
Mr.
> > Gates himself did (Qbasic shipped windows with up till win98SE),
which is
> > the same kind of argument as the 'golden age' meme.
>
> Not sure I caught that in the thread, but I do think Microsoft has been

> predatory for quite a while now.  But Bill's orientation has always
been
> to package innovation (anyone's) to maximize market share -- he's never

> thought of that as predatory.  He's got a blind spot there, in my
> experience, so I think David has it right.

Well He said:
"
My biggest example is the silent, unnoticed vanishing
of any programming language from personal computers.

I swear, I CANNOT GET A MACHINE WITH SIMPLE BASIC IN
ORDER TO TEACH IT TO MY SON!

It has taken 2 years, and I hope to get an old pentium
machine soon with DOS 6.2 and BASIC aboard, so I can
teach him the fundamentals of moving a dot via a
simple algorithm.  Silently, unnoticed, this has
happened and a new generation will be able to make web
pages and fancy Flash digitals... but without any
grasp of the line coding underneath.
"

And:

"
I think you all miss the point.

I have dozens of old books with simple BASIC programs
in them that tell the computer to compute or to move a
dot in ways that show the vital importance of a simple
algorithm at creating what appears on the screen.  If
I had BASIC I could sit with my son and type in these
examples and swiftly establish a sense of power at the
gut level of the machine.

Most of the languages you mention are much higher
level.  Some involve GUI drag and drop methods that
bear NO relation to what I'm talking about.  Certainly
none of them enable a dad to use the mountains of past
experience sitting right here on our shelves.

Thanks.  But the only hope I seem to have is if this
guy I know gets around to giving us an old machine
with DOS aboard.

Utterly pathetic.
"

And:

"
1. I already know BASIC, so sitting with my son with
BASIC would be a straightforward thing.  Any
reasonable man would expect to be allowed/able to do
so.

2. I am awash in books that offer simple line-by-line
tutorial programs.

3.  All the rich guys at Microsoft got there via a
path that they have now closed to another generation.
It is insane that ANYONE should have to go hunting and
downloading in order to do simple things that anyone
with a PC could do ten years ago.

I shall probably hunt/download python sometime... and
I deeply resent that I must at my age learn a new
language that will be obsolete in no time, just to
replicate WHAT ALREADY EXISTED VASTLY MORE
CONVENIENTLY.

Again, this has been a 2 year search.  If you do not
see the irony and frustration, please do not ridicule
me for seeing it.
"

And:

"
But after the horror of trying xbasic and qbasic and
all the others, I do not expect much success.  All
were created by techies who suffer from
techie-disease... an absolute assumption that
everyboddy who downloads their compiler will instantly
and miraculously know how to use it.  The manuals are
gibberish. There is nothing at all resembling a simple
place to write line by line code and simply typr
"run".

Thanks also for that.  But I did try to explain my
frustration.  I already know BASIC.  I have books.  I
have a zillion sample programs that are EXACTLY what I
want to teach.  Logo looks nice but I do not have the
time to learn another language and it definitely looks
"higher" than the algorithm-based level that I have
wanted to show to my son.

I want Z=2x, x=1, print Z.

I want to move a DOT using a simple mathematicall
algorithm.  I have examples in books.  Why can I not
show this to my son?  It is EXACTLY what Bill Gates
and Steve Jobs and Wozniak did.

Maybe that's why they have ensured that no one else can.
"

All before I said a word.  Then he continues with:

"
In fact, I simply wanted to show my son the
relationship between math and the location of the
myriad dots on a computer screen.  By letting HIM
create a program that uses an algorithm to achieve
results, I hope to demystify computers and coding and
show that it all comes down to lines of code.

You may choose to interpret this as "the past is
better".  But since, as you say, this is diametrically
opposite to my philosophy, an honorable approach might
have been to take that interpretation and contemplate
the wise words: "I might be mistaken."
"

And:

"
The goal of teaching my children the relationship
between mathematical algorithms and effects upon a
screen would seem eminently desireable and obvious.
So obvious that I find it hilarious that you assume
your lack of comprehension is MY problem. Never
considering the possibility that it is yours.

As for QBasic, I never claimed that it did not work,
only that its approach was obtuse, its tutorials badly
written and cause-effect hard to follow. I feel no
need to spend 30 hours learning an unnecessarily
complex system within which I plan to work (with my
son) for less than ten.
"

Dr. Brin believes that a "SIMPLE BASIC" existed, that can run "simple
BASIC programs" that "move['s] a DOT using a simple mathematicall [SIC]
algorithm" "via a simple algorithm" "that show the vital importance of a
simple algorithm" from written "books that offer simple line-by-line
tutorial programs", but unfortunately "There is nothing at all resembling
a simple place to write line by line code and simply typr [SIC] 'run'" in
these new "obtuse", "cause-effect hard to follow", "unnecessarily complex
system['s]", in which "All were created by techies who suffer from
techie-disease" and "replicate WHAT ALREADY EXISTED VASTLY MORE
CONVENIENTLY" in the golden age but "will be obsolete in no time" while
he furthers points out: "The manuals are gibberish", "its tutorials badly
written", "and I deeply resent that I must at my age learn a new
language" because he "feel[s] no need to spend 30 hours learning" because
he "do[es] not have the time to learn another language" because "none of
them enable a dad to use the mountains of past experience sitting right
here on our shelves" from "dozens of old books" that he is "awash in".

And in his "frustration" from his "2 year search" for the golden fleece,
he has uncovered the nefarious plot of "Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and
Wozniak" and "All the rich guys at Microsoft" to perpetrate the "silent,
unnoticed vanishing of any programming language from personal computers"
and how "Silently, unnoticed, this has happened and a new generation will
be able to make web
pages and fancy Flash digitals... but without any grasp of the line
coding underneath" because "Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and Wozniak"
climbed the ladder and "Maybe that's why they have ensured that no one
else can" climb that ladder, which makes new PC operating systems without
the mystical golden fleece "Utterly pathetic".

Not to mention several Bizzarro-Brin conspiracy theories about China
stealing the copyright to UNIX through "SINUX".

And anyone who dares to point out errors / failings of the never wrong
Dr. Brin doesn't use "honorable approach['s]" and their criticisms are
"mistaken" and have a "lack of comprehension".

So in short, Dr. Brin is suffering from "Golden Age" Meme with touches of
"Elitist Arrogance" meme.  Furthermore Dr. Brin argues about the wonders
of 'low level' interpreters such as Basic, which in reality are several
layers _more_ removed from actual machine code than the 'higher level'
languages that he complains about.  Indeed, short of writing code in
machine language, he's not actually accomplishing the very thing he
complains about.  And perhaps that's the problem, because real low level
cause and effect machine / assembly languages are much more "complex"
than the high level Basic language that he has simplified to.  Apparently
Dr. Brin prefers things that are "Simple", and yet at the very same time
he is railing against "higher", "simpler" languages.  I'm sure an
intelligent person can see the Irony in that.