John D. Giorgis wrote:

 I am merely pointing out that
since JFK, they have been perceived to have become much weaker on defense
in comparison to the Republicans.

The statements that followed this seemed to say that Democrats backed the peace movement and tended to vote against war. In my mind, those don't equate to "weaker on defense." Successful peacemakers are stronger on defense than the most successful warriors, since they defend us not just from our enemies, but from having to wage war. Not that that's always possible; it seems clear to me that we have a great need to defend our borders today.

Conversely, eagerness to make war on enemies -- the stated policy of the current administration -- is hardly what I'd consider being strong on defense.

Nick