----- Original Message -----
From: "Julia Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 11:21 PM
Subject: Re: B!in: some thoughts and quotes.

> Dan Minette wrote:
>

> A number of the smaller chains in New Englnad were in trouble before I
> ever set eyes on a Wal-Mart.

These were some good size chains, with at least scores of stores.  I
remember reading about this around '91 or so.

> I don't know about unionization where I am, but I believe that
> Albertson's isn't unionized, I'd guess that the Randall's here aren't,
> and I don't think HEB is.  FWIW, Randall's is the most expensive of the
> three here -- how does it compare with Krogers?  (If what you're after
> is at HEB, there's a very, very good chance that that's the cheapest
> place of the three for that item.)

I agree with your comment on HEB, who also pays a bit better than Randalls
and Kroegers.  Kroegers is a touch cheaper than Randall's, but not nearly
as good a value as HEB.  But, Kroegers is the corner store for me, so I'll
ride my bike over to pick up a couple of things.

> I'm hoping we don't have too much of that in our neighborhood when my
> kids reach that age, because *they* sure as heck aren't getting a BMW
> convertible.  (They're probably getting POS used Chevys.)  Having had to
> deal with such individuals, I don't want to raise any of my children to
> be like that.

If you live and teach your values well, it should turn out OK.  Our kids
were happy driving "the tank" as they progressively became the kid at home
with a driver's license.  "The tank" is an old conversion van that's been
getting shabbier as it ages, but does just fine for the trip to school.

Dan M.