----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Pensinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 11:04 PM
Subject: Re: Br!n: some thoughts and quotes.

> Dan wrote:
>
> > Is there any indication that their treatment of workers is unusual for
> > retail?  We do know that without Wal-marts, K-marts, Targets, etc.,
lower
> > income people would have a much lower effective standard of living.
I'm
> > willing to change my mind if places like Abercrombie and Fitch having
> > high prices only because their employees get such good benefits.
>
> So you're saying it's OK for the industry leader to mistreat their
> employees and compensate them poorly as long as everyone else is doing
it?

No.  I'm saying its wrong to single out discount stores.

> Around here one of the arguments is that the super Walmarts - those that
> have grocery stores - will undercut unionized grocery stores.  From what
> understand, the difference in pay and benefits is substantial.
> Checking.... here's some stuff: http://tinyurl.com/4f7bf

> "Wal-Mart is the largest employer in the United States, with over one
> million workers. It is the largest food retailer and the third largest
> pharmacy in the nation. The company employs approximately 44,000 workers
> in California, and has plans to expand significantly in the state over
the
> next four years. Wal-Mart workers receive lower wages than other retail
> workers and are less likely to have health benefits. Other major
retailers
> have begun to scale back wages and benefits in the state, citing their
> concerns about competition from Wal-Mart.
>
> We estimate that Wal-Mart workers in California earn on average 31
percent
> less than workers employed in large retail as a whole, receiving an
> average wage of $9.70 per hour compared to the $14.01 average hourly
> earnings for employees in large retail (firms with 1,000 or more
> employees).

California is a bit unusual in that it is an extremely expensive place to
live, and that the retail wages are that high.  For example, in Wisconsin
my brother-in-law managed a restaurant for a salary in the mid-$20s.  He
worked 60-80 hour weeks.  It was a step down when he lost that job because
the store managed by a friend of the owners was shut down and his store was
handed over to be managed by the friend.  It was a hard job to lose; even
though he got around 20% more than minimum once all his hours were figured
in.

His hourly earnings were close to the Wal-Mart number, when inflation was
worked in....and he ran the place.  Retail jobs don't pay in Wisconsin,
Minnesota, etc.  Here, the union grocery store starts out around
$6.00-$6.50/hour.

I appreciate the data you gave me, BTW.  Its interesting that our
experiences are so different regarding this.  BTW,  don't teenagers work
retail in California?  Does the Gap really pay kids >$10.00/hour out there?
In Texas, I know of a number of folks who work retail, for a number of
stores, none of which have benefits.

Dan M.