At 10:16 AM 10/12/2004 +1000 Russell Chapman wrote:
>> After all, remember that due to
>> redistricting, a straight re-run of the 2000 election would produce a
>> 278-260 Bush win.
>
>I think I now understand the US EC voting better now, except this one
>thing - I thought it was already done as Byron has suggested - that each
>electoral district represented one vote in the EC, and the party with
>the most votes in that district scored that vote.

In 48 US States and the District of Columbia, the candidate with a
plurality of votes is awarded all of the State's or District's electors.

In Nebraska and Maine, the same process is used to award one elector for
each of two Congressional Districts and then two more electors are awarded
to the candidate with the statewide plurality.

The US Constitution specifies that each State Legislature may determine how
to allocate their State's electors in each year.

> From reading the preceding emails, it seems the state's total popular
>is everything, but then I can't see how re-districting has any effect.
>It's not like the line between OH and PA suddenly got moved. How does
>redistricting change the result at the EC?

Each State is awarded Two Electors and One additional Elector for each
Member of the House of Representatives.   Since the number of
Representatives in the House is fixed at 435 by law, after each decennial
Census some States gain and lose Members in the House of Representatives.

>Oh, and as a curiousity - does the EC actually meet - do representatives
>from each state actually gather in a room in DC and put ballot papers in
>a box?

The electors for each State meet in their respective State Capitols on
December 18th to cast their votes.   These votes are then sent to Congress,
and the first act of the new Congress will be to count and certify the
votes of the electors.
   http://slate.msn.com/id/1006679

Here is another helpful FAQ:
 http://slate.msn.com/id/1006385