> What if the Chinese offer to pay for some of the natural gas
    > they expect to buy from Iran in Euros rather than dollars?

    There are some real, technical, problems in the export of gas over
    long distances. It's not a piece of cake like oil

No.  Evidentally, the Chinese are offering to pay for a batch of
liquified natural gas tankers.  Some are saying that they also are
considering a central Asian pipeline, which would be more defensible
than a sea route.  In any case, shipments are not supposed to start
for quite a while.  The amount of money involved is said to be $100
billion, with an option to double.  It is a big deal.

I find it fascinating that neither they nor anyone else are talking of
spending that amount of money on alternatives to fossil fuel.  With
tens of billions spent on development, I bet the price of alternatives
would come down below the costs of fossil fuels (including the
military costs of defending routes and such).

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8