On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:34:29 -0500, Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> * Gary Denton ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> > About $100 billion a year would be freed up for stocks, bonds and
> > other investments under a tentative plan President Bush has floated
> > to fix the Social Security retirement system by creating private
> > investment accounts.
> >
> > The fees paid to brokers and money managers could run into the
> > billions.
>
> They could, if the privatisation is implemented poorly, i.e., as an
> actively managed mutual-fund type account. But that would be stupid. You
> are arguing against a good idea based on a stupid implementation of it.
> If you want to accomplish something, it is more effective to argue FOR
> an intelligent implementation of a good idea:
>
> The annual fee for an index fund is about 0.1%. So, 0.1% of $100B is
> $100M. In actuality, it will be lower, since such a large account will
> be able to get economies of scale. Very large pension funds currently
> can get 0.05%.

Erik is confusing the portion of the management fee for large mutual
funds where they make decisions where money is invested with the total
management fees and expenses of mutual funds that must pay for the
bookkeeping of individual accounts and other matters.  As a mutual
fund investor the lowest management, sales and administration fees I
am aware of seem to be around  0,2% excluding individual transaction
costs.  Perhaps Erik can point me to these mutual funds with
management fees less than 0.18% that an individual investor can
participate in?  The Motley Fool believes the King of all Funds is the
Vanguard S&P 500 index which has that 0.18% fee ratio for a $10,000
investment.  Right now the Fool  recommends funds with an expense
ratio of less than 0,5%.  With all the administration that would go
into a supermegafund with iniatially very small accounts I would
imagine we would be lucky to get that 0,5% before exchange fees and
transaction costs.

The experience with the countries that have implemented federalized
individual retirement accounts shows the administration fees have been
several percent and always much higher than their previous SS
administration costs.  The administration and management fees are
allowed to be up to 20% in the UK.

The other argument that Erik is making are that the the $2 trillion
transition cost is simply making explicit the unfunded obligations of
the SS fund.  Not quite.  A good argument if true but the $2 trillion
is simply additional federal borrowing to replace the money diverted
from going to SS to meet current obligations from individuals.  You
can recognize that Erik realizes this when he states the unfunded
obligations of SS is over $10 trillion.

Bush&Co. realize all of this - the real desire is to get rid of SS
anyway possible and also help their financial backers on Wall Street.
The leaked memo did not talk about the historic opportunity to save
Social Security, but the opportunity to finally get rid of it.

"Advocates of privatization almost always pretend that all we have to
do is borrow a bit of money up front, and then the system will become
self-sustaining. The Wehner memo talks of borrowing $1 trillion to $2
trillion "to cover transition costs." Similar numbers have been widely
reported in the news media.

"But that's just the borrowing over the next decade. Privatization
would cost an additional $3 trillion in its second decade, $5 trillion
in the decade after that and another $5 trillion in the decade after
that. By the time privatization started to save money, if it ever did,
the federal government would have run up around $15 trillion in extra
debt.

"These numbers are based on a Congressional Budget Office analysis of
Plan 2, which was devised by a special presidential commission in 2001
and is widely expected to be the basis for President Bush's plan."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/11/opinion/11krugman.html

Gary Denton