* Doug Pensinger ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Sometime listmember Brad DeLong's take:
>
> http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/movable_type/
>
> Why Am I Not For Bush's Social Security Reform?

Thanks, Doug. That's a good summary of Brad's opinion. Here's an even
shorter version (my words, based on what I have seen him write over
the past couple months): There is a significant (but not critical)
long run deficit in SS. Also, investment of some SS funds in stocks
makes economic sense because it is a more efficient way to save for the
future. But Bush will probably screw it up, as he has everything else.

That's a reasonable argument. But I think it is premature. Bush said he
will release an actual plan in February. If the plan is bad, or if it
looks okay but still seems likely Bush will screw up the implementation
of the plan, then it would be reasonable to oppose it.

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/