* Dan Minette ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >long-working spouse.
>
> But, I still don't see it getting above 40 %.  Let's look at the last $1k
> of earnings of the spouse looking at a 20k/year job.   She's in the 15%
> marginal income tax bracket, her SS tax is 7.65%, and she is working for
> too few years to qualify for SS on her own.  That gives a marginal federal
> tax rate on that last $1k to 22.765%. We'll also assume her net tax is her
> gross tax, since she gets no extra SS from working.
>
> They will spend more money, and on some of that spending they'll have to
> pay sales tax.  But, another 3%-4% should cover that.
>
> With taxes on the phone bill and what-not, I can see the marginal  tax rate
> rise to 30%, but not much more unless they now buy a new house with higher

average tax rate = ( present value of lifetime taxes paid minus present
value of lifetime benefits received from government ) divided by present
value of lifetime earnings

R = (T - B) / E

marginal rate = dT/dE - dB/dE

I think their calculation is much more extenstive than yours, but I'm
glad you want to check their numbers. I'll work through it in more
detail this weekend (and post some excerpts from the book that explain
in more detail what they are calculating)

In the meantime, a couple things that I can think of that would make
their figure larger than yours:

If the extra spousal income bumps the couple into the next federal
income tax bracket, say from 15% to 25%, depending on the brackets when
the calculation was done.

You didn't count state tax, which in California or other high tax states
could be more than 10%.

Economists tend to count the full FICA contribution, which I think is
either 13.85% or 15.3% (I'll check the exact figure later). If you are
self-employed, you pay the full amount yourself. If you are not, then
economists figure the amount your employer pays would have gone to you
if it weren't for the tax.

Also, they don't look just at SS benefits when they net out the changes.
If the present value of all government benefits went down when the
spouse starting working, then netting out dB/dE can actually increase
the marginal rate. They include things like medical benefits and welfare
benefits as well as SS.

Anyway, more later.