On Jan 17, 2005, at 1:50 PM, maru dubshinki wrote:

and there is potential in the religious right: Didn't Genesis say we were put here to tend and care for the Earth?

Actually I believe the commonest interpretation is "dominion" rather than "stewardship":

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

"And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."

(Gen. 1:26, 28, KJV)

James Watt, Reagan's Interior Secretary from '81 to '83, was of the opinion that since Jesus was expected soon it made sense to rescind ALL environmental protections; just go ahead and use it all up before the rapture.

Seriously.

<http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?ItemID=18008>
<http://www.wanttoknow.info/billmoyers>
<http://www.thedesertsun.com/news/stories2004/opinion/ 20050110011315.shtml>

<http://www.google.com/search? q=james+watt+conservation+environment&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8>
<http://www.google.com/search?q=james+watt+environment+christ&ie=UTF -8&oe=UTF-8>

So no, there's really no hope to be found whatsoever among the righties. They're all pretty much nucking futs.

==

Interestingly you can find argument in Genesis for vegetarianism:

"And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat."

(Gen 1:29, KJV)

Note there's no statement there of God saying that animals were to be eaten; he says the vegetables are to be "as meat". The point is driven home here:

"And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so."

Apparently there were no carnivores in Eden.

-- Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books http://books.nightwares.com/ Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror" http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf