* Nick Arnett ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Erik Reuter wrote:
>
> >He could equivalently have said the system is "broken". The
> >forecast is that SS will not be able to pay scheduled benefits in the
> >future without an increase in funding.
>
> If that's what he meant, then that's what he could have said.  I hear a

He said it perfectly correctly. Present value of liabilities exceeding
present value of income is as good a definition as I know of broke.

And I'm not sure why you are blaming Kotlikoff for Bush's ineptness.
Kotlikoff is not in the Bush administration.

In my opinion, it is quite selfish and short-sighted to say that since
the drop to 73% in 2042 is not going to affect you or anyone your age,
then it is not a crisis. I know a number of 30 year olds who consider
losing 27% of their expected money a crisis.

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/