----- Original Message -----
From: "JDG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 7:50 AM
Subject: Re: Kotlikoff's PSS plan

> At 09:03 PM 1/19/2005 -0600 Dan Minette wrote:
> > It's true that the present budget
> >deficits are very worrisome....and it bothers me that many people still
> >believe in trickle down economics.
>
> It bothers me that people will write things like the above.     Do you
find
> the above statement to be particularly persuasive?

Actually, I was writing it as a signal

> >The national debt, in real terms, went down by a factor of four between
'46
> >and '80. It ballooned under the two Bushes and Reagan,
>
> So, what is this so-called "trickle-down" economics practiced by the two
> Bushes and Reagan???

Supply side ecconomics.  Let me give a definition of a supporter of this
type of ecconomics:
<quote>
Supply-side economics doesn't work in the trickle-down model at all. It
works two different ways:

It allows people at all economic levels, and particularly at the top, to
keep their own hard-earned money and use it as they see fit. That may mean
spending it. It may mean saving it. It may mean investing it. In any of
those three scenarios, the money brings more benefit to one and all than it
does if the money is transferred to the government.

If businesses and wealthy people keep more of their money, they are more
inclined to invest it in businesses - hiring more employees, starting new
enterprises, expanding operations. After all, it's the rich who tend to
hire people. I don't know about you, but I've never been given a job by a
poor person.

<end quote>

from:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=29739

>(And in what way is this so-called "trickle-down"
> economics tied to the nominal balancing of the annual budget?)

By cutting taxes on upper income earners, you free them to do what they do
best, grow the ecconomy.  Tax receipts go up as taxes go down because these
are the folks who make our country go.

>As near as I can tell, your "trickle-down" economics is both tax cuts
(Reagan I and
> W.) *and* tax hikes (Bush I and arguably Reagan II).  Once again, no
matter
> what Republicans do is wrong, and what Democrats do is right.

Republicans and Democrats come in distributions, of course (a NY Republican
is usually more liberal than a Texas Democrat), but for the most part
Republicans favor lower taxes on upper income tax payers.  Historically,
this was to be balanced by lower governmental spending.  The theory was
that the upper income tax payers generate jobs with their money; they knew
better than the government how to invest money, so leaving it with them was
the best thing possible for all.

With Reagan, Republicans dropped fiscal prudence and embraced large
deficits....well not all Republicans, but supply siders carried the day.
The real deficit went down until Reagan, with only short upward blips. It
also went down under Clinton.

Democrats, on the other hand, believed that government action represents
community action.  Direct governmental spending, with the New Deal and then
WWII was what first kept the Great Depression from getting worse and then
jump started the American economy.  In addition, the foundation of economic
growth is a good wage for workers, so they can buy things from the
factories.  Concentration of wealth leads to economic volatility.  And, if
deflation takes hold, money under the mattress starts to be a good
investment.  Only governmental guarantees can stop runs on banks, and only
governmental pump priming can work when things get bad enough.

I realize that fiscal policy is now in disfavor among most economists, but
from what I've read, the main problem with fiscal policy as a tool is that
it's time constant is longer than the present economic cycle.  In other
words, the stimulus will hit too late....unlike monetary policy which can
have an effect in a few months.

But, there is a limit to monetary policy.  We came close to that with a
0.75%  discount rate.  It's hard to go below zero.  For real big, long term
problems, like the Great Depression, you couldn't "push a rope" with
monetary policy alone.  Thus, governmental spending was also needed.

In general, if Republicans want to change tax structures, they think that a
less progressive structure is better.  Democrats think a more progressive
structure is better.  The argument Republicans give is that the less
progressive structure is better for the economy because cutting the taxes
of the high income earners is the best fiscal policy for stimulating the
economy.  Democrats have long called this idea "trickle down" economics,
because the benefits of tax cuts for high income earners are supposed to
"trickle down" and benefit everyone.

Since the last time you chided me for this, I've heard this argument
repeatedly from Bush and Snow.  I've also heard various forms of it from
Republicans for almost 40 years.  And yet, you seem to think I've invented
the concept.

Dan M.

Dan M.