On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:32:15 -0500, Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> * Dan Minette ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> > I'll agree with Erik that the % of GDP going as payments to the
> > elderly should not increase.  So, I'd go with a similar reduction in
> > the increase in benefits that was agreed to in '83, with no overall
> > increase in the projected taxes collected (although the tax could
> > be more progressive).  I think that would definately get us within
> > the ball park of long term sustainability by 2050.  If this were
> > accomplished by changing the indexing formula, as I have suggested,
> > after sustainability was achieved, we would then see SS as a % of GDP
> > slowly decrease after 2050....assuming roughly historical ecconomic
> > growth.
>
> Nice summary, Dan. The plan you outline would be a huge improvement over
> what we have now. I'd definitely support something like it. I hope the
> shrill in the AARP and liberal media don't manage to scotch something
> like that if it is on the table.

Replacing the payment  increase being tied to the increase in cost of
living instead of wages  may be a deal-breaker for Democrats.  All we
can go on is past experience - benefits would be cut by more than half
now if this had been implemented in the past. It would have guaranteed
current retirees a benefit that would be a fraction of what they
needed to live on - in the 1930s. It is also contrary to philosophy
underlying SS, the benefits you receive are a function of your wages
and are closely tied to your wages.

The Democrats are in no mood for any compromises, the Bush fix is
worse than doing nothing and much more expensive. Bush's efforts of
selling the plan have only increased public opposition as more details
leak out. Instead of benefits declining by roughly 25% in forty years
after the surplus is exhausted and Social Security becomes
pay-as-you-go benefits - under a Bush plan would decline by over 50%
even including the invested fund benefit.  Under current suggested
replacement plans SS runs out of  money sooner. In place of a $3.7
trillion SS deficit over 75 years starting in 40 years a Bush plan
adds a $3 trillion larger general fund deficit starting in ten years.
The new privatized accounts don't create an ownership society, they
create a supplicant society as the accounts give no survivor or
inheritor rights and there is limited right to choose investments.
Disability and survivor benefits would start to decline in ten years.
It takes some kind of *genius* to think Bush &co.has a plan to fix
Social Security, they want to destroy it.

Gary Denton