On Mar 7, 2005, at 5:46 PM, Dan Minette wrote:

Have you had a chance to look into superstring ideas? One thing that
goes away with that is the inability to determine a particle's location
and motion simultaneously,

Can you point out where you got this impression?

_The Elegant Universe_, Brian Greene. He portrays the problem, IIRC, of particle interactions, describing how a pair of "loops" would interact in a way different from two particles -- they'd join for a while, forming one loop with different properties, and then separate once again into individual loops. Since we see this as a point-particle interaction, my understanding is that we have a hard time determining when or where the interaction actually takes place.

Unfortunately the book is, like 99 44/100% of my life, in storage. So I can't dig up the reference or backcheck it. :\

And Greene is obviously a partisan, so whatever alternate explanations exist might get short shrift in his own arguments.

Nova/PBS did a program a while back:

<http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/>

But I don't recall this part of it being discussed. Maybe it was deemed too deep for the audience. Or too abstract!

-- Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books http://books.nightwares.com/ Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror" http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf