* Dan Minette ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> In reletivistic quantum mechanics, this is stated as "Spacelike operators
> must commute."  So, going back to our example of two spin 1/2 particles in
> a spin zero state, if we have call the operator for measuring the spin of
> particle 1: A and the operator for measuring the spin of particle 2: B, we
> find that if we perform A then B on the wavefunction  BA(|+-> +
> |-+>)/sqrt(2) one gets |+-> half of the time and |-+> half of the time.
> (the operator closest to the ket (which is what |>s are called)  operates
> first.   If we perform B then A, we obtain exactly the same results.  There
> is no difference in the results if you perform A then B or B then A.  So,
> the operators do commute.

I have my doubts whether anyone who hasn't taken quantum mechanics could
follow that paragraph. But I imagine serious quantum-less people could
follow the rest of the post. Except that no one said anything...hmmmm

> All of these hits are basically non-lethal.  It was still possible in the
> '50s and early '60s to consider his hidden variable theory something that
> would be a theory of real observables once we probed a bit deeper.  But,
> there was a big development in the mid-60s that eliminated hidden variable
> theories from serious consideration.  That will be in the next installment.

Ah, EPR coming? Are you saving these for your forthcoming _Physics for
Poets_ book?

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/