Gautam,

I think we've taken up about as much of the Brin-L oxygen as we need to
with this, but since you seem determined to persist, I will respond,
begging the indulgence of our listmates.

As to my message amounting to an "intrusion for no good reason," how do
you figure? Was yours less so? Should we just sit quietly by when you
demean the subjects of our conversations?

Recounting the facts from my perspective: Julia mentioned Jim Wallis I wrote a link to an article about him, and gave my assessment of him. You misinterpreted my statement in a way that seemed an attack on me.

Correction: I interpreted your statement completely correctly: it was most definitely an insult: delivered to Julie, directed at Wallis. Evidently, I worded it so tersely as to leave my message open to misinterpretation by Julie and by you. I subsequently clarified my point, but you ignored that completely.

For the record: Gautam did not insult Julie. Gautam insulted Jim
Wallis.

So I would say that you should sit quietly by if your only contribution
is to misinterpret a clear statement on my part in a way that seems
meant only to be a poor attempt to make me look as if I'm attacking
everyone's favorite list member.

As to my supposed misinterpretation, "asked and answered, counsellor. Move on."

As to your assumptions about my motives ("seems meant only to be a poor
attempt to make me look..."), we're all fond of Julie, but that had
nothing to do with my joining the fray. Perhaps you recall that I have
been involved in this thread since its inception, and was responsible
for the name change to reflect my redirection of its thrust towards the
ideas of Marcus Borg and other contemporary Biblical scholars, which
led to the discussion of Jim Wallis. As a result, I felt that it was at
least my privilege and perhaps my right to continue participating in it.

Otherwise, feel free to jump in. We all know how opinions that differ
from today's orthodoxy are treated here, so why should today be any
different?

My freedom to jump in was never at issue. I wouldn't know what today's orthodoxy would be, exactly, but I know that pretty much all opinions here are subject to contradiction, correction, approval and the occasional quiet stomping to death.

Dave