--- Nick Arnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Our task should not be to invoke religion and the
> name of God by claiming
> God's blessing and endorsement for all our national
> policies and practices -
> saying, in effect, that God is on our side. Rather,
> we should pray and worry
> earnestly whether we are on God's side."  --Abraham
> Lincoln
>
> Nick

A quote entirely stripped of its moral and historical
context - remarkably so, in fact.  Lincoln is the
historical figure you can _least_ enlist in your
cause, Nick, because he is one whom most people agree
is the paragon of the modern statesman who _also_
chose to fight an optional war far more terrible than
any other his nation has ever fought, before or since.
 The Lincoln whom you quote approvingly _chose_ to
unleash total war in a way that the West had not seen
in centuries and the United States had never seen.  He
did this despite the opposition of most of the rest of
the world (Britain and France, for example, _both_
supported mediation of the conflict and, de facto, the
split of the United States into separate countries).
There is just no possible way to take his example and
use it to argue that we must not go to war in the face
of great evil.  That's precisely what he did.  You are
twisting his statement into an excuse for inaction -
we do not know God's will, so we must do nothing.
That's exactly wrong.  What Lincoln was saying is
exactly the opposite of that point - he was saying, we
cannot know God's will, so we must do the best we can
given what we _do_ know.  Lincoln's last great speech,
and the one that seems to have best expressed his
intentions, says it best - "With malice towards none,
with charity for all, _with firmess in the right as
God gives us to see the right_, let us strive on to
finish the work we are in..."  With firmness in the
right.  Because he did believe in that, he authorized
(for example) the complete destruction of the civilian
infrastructure of Georgia and South Carolina.  That's
not peaceful change.  But it was a man doing the best
he could in an uncertain world, and knowing that
sometimes the best he could meant warfare of
unimaginable horror.  Lincoln contained multitudes,
but none of those multitudes can plausibly be enlisted
in an argument that we should sit on our hands in the
face of great evil.

Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"