----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary Denton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 3:55 PM
Subject: Re: The American Political Landscape Today

> >Are you a doctor? Why do you want the government making medical
> decisions?
>
> Because I don't think it's a medical decision. You assume your
conclusions
> when you make that statement. You assume that a 2 week overdue infant is
> not human, but an 8 week premature baby is. I don't think humans should
be
> killed. But, the point is not even that abortion is right or wrong. It's
> that Democrats are taking positions that are favored by only the most
> liberal 10%-20% of the nation and holding fast to those positions.
Setting
> aside the debate of whether abortion should or should not be
>> illeagal...the
>> Democratic party's position favoring the

>You may have hit enter to fast judging by how that trails off.

The unfettered right to abortion alienates many voters....even self-defined
Democrats.

>But you are returning to your argument which was immediately jumped on.
Why
>do you think Democrats are for unlimited abortions? Why do you think
>incorrectly that most Democrats don't hold the positions of most
Americans?

That's not really what I'm getting at. The origional claim was that the
liberals were the mainstream because they were the mode of the Pew poll.
Eric pointed out the mathamatical error in this analysis fairly clearly.
Conservative Democrats were considered liberal.  From reading the website,
I'd say that conservative Democrats were more conservative on social issues
and more liberal on issues such as government spending and taxes.

>About 40% of Republicans oppose efforts to make it more difficult to get
>abortions.
>About 25% of Democrats support efforts to make it more difficult to get an
>abortion.

>Why are the Republican who think we are going to far not heard from when
>there are debates about abortion in just about every Democratic meeting I
>attended?

I was almost one of the 18 year old delagates for McGovern.  I know
personally that, in most places, a pro-life Democrat has a hard time within
the party.  I dropped out of politics because of that.  I'm not claiming
that this is a universal situation, but I've

>I suspect is because it was part of that media drumbeat that pro-life
people
>can't be heard in the Democratic party.

No, it's because the Democratic leadership seems to fear a slippery slope
on abortion.  If they make one single concession for any reason whatsoever,
then it's Katy bar the door.  Personally, I see simularities between this
and the NRA's position on gun control.

Even though I'm a liberal, I realize that there are fewer liberals than
conservatives.  I don't see the reason to look at the data sideways to deny
unpleasant realities.  That's a losing strategy.

Dan M.