----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Street" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Killer Bs Discussion'" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 2:24 PM
Subject: RE: Mindless and Heartless

> I apologize in advance, because this letter was addressed to someone
else.
> But...
>
> Gautam Mukunda wrote:
> > ...But, of course, it's not a
> > coincidence that the David Duke's of this world have
> > rallied particularly to her claims.  They agree with
> > them.  This tells us something...
>
> It does? I don't quite follow. Shouldn't a claim (of any type) be
evaluated
> for truth or falsity on its merits, rather than incidental factors like
the
> nature of the people who believe in it? I mean, if David Duke suddenly
said
> that he completely supported Newtonian Mechanics, that wouldn't mean that
> the rest of us had to stop believing in Newton's Laws...

If David Duke were to state he supported the Copenhaugen school of QM
interpretation, I'd make an "even a blind squirrel" statement and laugh it
off.  But, the political support of Mr. Duke is another matter. I think
that it is fair to say that Mr. Duke has his antenna out for chances to
promote his anti-Semetic and racist idology.  Given the the letter to ABC
news contained a classic anti-Semetic claim, and that Mr. Duke weighed in
in support, why isn't it reasonable to think that his political sense has
not faded with time.

Howard Dean, when anti-Semetics tried to jump on the bandwagon, kicked them
off.  While I think the support of racist anti-Semites doesn't have to
guarantee a position is wrong, anyone who places themselves in the
political limelight who gets such support needs to be clear that it is very
unwanted.

Dan M.