----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Land" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 8:09 PM
Subject: Re: Mindless and Heartless

> On Aug 16, 2005, at 5:33 PM, Dan Minette wrote:
>
> > the start of this thread was how heartless and mindless Bush is to not
> > meet
> > with her.  That I think is inaccurate.
>
> As the one who started this thread, I think I have some standing to
> assert that it was *not* about how heartless and mindless Bush is to
> refuse to meet with her, but how heartless and mindless his manner of
> dismissing her shows him to be.

Well, that's how I read the title....and how I read:

"This guy's head -- and apparently, his heart -- is completely empty."

I won't argue that I got what you meant....but can you see why I
interpreted this line as referring to him directly.

> Frankly, I don't understand why the no-doubt-brilliant writers that
> support the president haven't come up with a sensitive, but firm way for
> him to honor her loss, express his genuine sense of the magnitude of the
> pain that his decisions have wrought, but decline to speak to her. If I
> worked for him, you can damn well believe I'd have come up with those
> words by now, and they sure as heck wouldn't have cited the president's
> need to get on with his life and maintain his exercise regimen.

I saw him say almost those exact words on TV, when he adressed her position
directly.  He said she had every right to believe what she did and to say
what she said and that he realized what a horrible loss she had.  He also
sent his National Security Advisor to talk to her.  I didn't see him answer
why he was exercising when she was waiting, but that is a bit of a silly
question.  It's a good idea for the president to get exercise.  Do you want
President Cheney? :-)

Dan M.