At 07:12 AM Thursday 9/1/2005, Alberto Monteiro wrote:

Gautam Mukunda wrote:

>> The margin of the refinery drop too low, and
>> Capitalists
>> won't invest in things that don't have an
>> _immediate_ high return.
>
> You're kidding, right?

By default, yes, but not this time.

> Just to pick an example from
> my old industry, a pharmaceutical company will spend
> on average ~$800MM to develop a drug, and that
> development process (from molecule to market) averages
> ~10 years.  This is not anyone's definition of an
> immediate high return.  This is one of those myths
> that people want to believe, I think.

Ok, we dissent about the definition of "immediate", that
for oil companies is something like 20 years :-)

The problem is that refineries had a huge margin before
the 1974 oil crisis, and then it dropped to minimum levels.

Capitalist Evil Logic dictates that with such low margin
it´s not worth building a new refinery.

>> But it's not exactly true [*] that no new refinery
>> was build,
>> because those that exist are upgraded regularly to
>> 2x, 4x, etc their initial capacity.
>
> This is absolutely true, and something I said a few
> minutes ago in a talk with my Mom on this same topic.
> It is also true, though, that despite these
> improvements in capacity, US refining capacity was
> running flat-out even before Katrina, and this is not
> a good thing and something that really needed to be
> alleviated with some new construction.

Yes, but who will invest, given the uncertainties of
the oil prices? PDVSA? :-)

Who is "PDVSA"?

-- Ronn!  :)