> Gautam Mukunda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- Warren Ockrassa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Ahh, but the other side of that is (for instance)
> > how rare asteroid
> > strikes to Earth have been; it's probably not
> >going to happen as long
> > as our species is around. However, would you agree
> > with capitalism's
> > logic that it's inefficient -- therefore unwise --
> > to plan for such a
> > contingency and develop technology to help us
> > prevent it?

> That's not the logic of capitalism.  It's barely
> even
> the logic of some sort of cliched stereotype of
> capitalism.  Protecting against risks like that is
> what is called a public good.  Somewhere around your
> second week of a first year economics class, they'll
> explain that public goods are things that markets
> don't provide for adequately, and this is when
> governments have to step in.  Gasoline is, however,
> not much of a public good.

It is when driving your car is the only way to escape
death.
It is when critical patients stuck in
generator-powered-only hospitals can't breathe.
It is when food and water have to be trucked miles
into a disaster zone where refugees haven't had any
for days.

Debbi
But Then That Explains Your Take On Drug Prices Maru

(Hey, just following your shining example of
argumentation, ol' boy.)