----- Original Message -----
From: "Ronn!Blankenship" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2005 12:21 AM
Subject: Re: Action Alert: Ensure Fair Wages for Hurricane Victims!

> At 09:45 PM Saturday 10/1/2005, Robert Seeberger wrote:

14AWG is about the smallest wire you see for residential installation
(though smaller conductors are used for control wiring, fire alarm,
anunciation.......), but 12AWG is the standard branch circuit
conductor. I've installed conductors as large as 1000MCM, but mostly
such loads are fed parallel.

18AWG is going to be used *inside* equipment for the most part if it
is a load bearing conductor.

>>How much wire can you put in a pipe?
>

> Off the top of my head, no I don't know.  I do know where to look it
> up, though, if the situation ever arises.  Mostly I have used
> non-metallic cable rather than conduit.

Then there is the consideration for how many wires you can have in a
junction box.
It is not difficult to look these things up, it is difficult to do it
right without derating the circuits.

>>Can you bend pipe so that it is located exactly where it is needed
>>without sawing it to pieces and using a bunch of couplings;
>>i.e.....wasting material?
>>How deep do you bury pipe under a roadway.......a sidewalk.......a
>>flowerbed?
>>How do you avoid derating every circuit in a pipe?
>>How often do you have to support armored cable?
>>How many circuits can share a neutral?
>>What is the smallest wire you can use for an equipment ground?
>

> Again, I'd probably use 12ga.  Preferably with green insulation.
> (If the wire itself is green, it's probably been exposed to
> moisture.)

The answer is 8AWG actually, but you are probably using a different
definition for "equipment" than an electrician is going to use.<G>

>>How do you overcome harmonics?
>

> If the guy won't quit playing when asked, a .357 Magnum is usually
> effective.

Or borrow the carpenters hammer. The sound is most satisfyingly
unharmonic.<G>

>>Why do you have to use 90 degree C rated wire at the 75 degree C
>>rating?
>

> I don't _know_ (I would simply follow the recommended usage).  My
> guess would be to minimize sagging when the wire gets hot and the
> metal expands, which of course may lead to problems.

90 degree C wire is very good. But there are no 90 degree C
termination devices made, so you have to use the 75 degree C ratings
in most cases.

>>There are similar bodies of knowledge for plumbers, carpenters,
>>boilermakers, elevator techs, pipefitters, millwrights, sheetrockers
>>yadda yadda yadda
>

> Yep.
>

>>Having a hammer doesn't make one a carpenter
>

> Having a multimeter does not make one an electrician, either, but it
> at least sometimes lets you figure out if the problem is a broken
> wire or short or just that there's another switch somewhere that's
> off when it should be on . . .

An electrician would be more likely to say "Having a pair of
sidecutters (Kliens) does not make one an electrician". Over the
course of a day an electrician is less likely to use a multimeter than
he is a pair of Kliens.<G>

xponent
Off To Work This Morning Maru
rob