Many, many years ago, when I was working as a news writer at KQV Radio, the
all-news station in Pittsburgh (where Dave Land and I became friends) we got
periodic phone calls from a woman we called The Martian Lady. One of those
calls came shortly after the president had visited an island off the coast
of South Carolina. Comparing pictures of him before and after the trip, she
concluded that he was not the same person and informed me that the Russians
had cloned the president.

I just read the following and I may have just become the Martian lady,
because, well, who the heck is this guy calling himself the president, who
said this:

"People should feel comfortable about expressing their opinions about Iraq,"
the president said. "I heard somebody say, well, maybe so-and-so is not
patriotic because they disagree with my position. I totally reject that
thought. This is not an issue of who's [a] patriot and who's not patriotic.
It's an issue of an honest, open debate about the way forward in Iraq."

On the other hand, the same guy seems to still inhabit the body of the
Secretary of Defense: 'On CNN's "Late Edition," Rumsfeld called Murtha "a
fine person," but added that "just as everyone can say what they want, we
also have to think of what the words mean to the enemy."'

I don't give a hoot what "the enemy" thinks of us. Our true enemies haven't
earned the right to have their opinions respected.

'Rumsfeld went on to say that "very little support went to Jack Murtha"
after the congressman spoke out last week. "The Democrats didn't step up and
support it, and Republicans didn't step up and support it. I think it's
important for our troops to know that."'

And I suppose that it doesn't occur to Rumsfeld how extraordinarily
depressing it is to a whole lot of our troops -- the ones who know the
"mission" was based on false intelligence, and that there still is no
strategy to win or to get out -- that so few of our leaders have been able
to support our troops by acknowledging that their decision was wrong. *Any*
decision to go to war, and most decisions not to go to war, are terrible to
have to make. How much more awful to also realize that the choice was
wrong... and how much more terrible to insist that the only way to honor the
sacrifices is to keep making more sacrifices for the same cause.

Oh, and John Murtha. Hero. Oorah.

--
Nick Arnett
[EMAIL PROTECTED]