Russell Chapman wrote:
Andrew Paul wrote:

That sounds like Chiefs, which I cant say I saw, and seems to be a
movie.

http://www.learmedia.ca/product_info.php/products_id/652

1983, but it has many of the elements that Gary noted, such as taking
place over a long time frame.
Charlton Heston as well! IMDB shows it as a mini-series:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084997/
3½ hours long - so it might not be what Gary saw, unless he saw it over several nights. I found it amusing to follow Andrew's link and find characters like Foxy Funderburke, or Sheriff Skeeter Willis, or Hoss Spence. I mean, even 50 years ago, what new mother is going to call her baby "Hoss" or "Skeeter".

She's not going to name him "Hoss" or "Skeeter", but he might have his daddy's name, or he might have the name of one or more of his first cousins, and nicknames like "Hoss" or "Skeeter" will identify him more precisely than "Sterling" if there are already 5 Sterlings out of 50 male relatives in the county.

        Julia  (slowly catching up)

and "Red" may be helpful unless half his cousins *also* have red hair