> From: Alberto Monteiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> The Fool wrote:
> >
> >> Fat32
> >
> > There's your problem _Right There_.
> >
> > Unless you are using some version of win9x that needs to be able to
see
> > this partition, you need to be using NTFS.  It's better in every
> > way. And you can compress NTFS drives.
> >
> > See if you can't dig up an old version of scandisk.exe or norton
> > utilities DOS version.
> >

> But NTFS is not visible to Linux.

I'm _sure_ there are versions of programs in specific linux distros
that do understand NTFS.

Ask some of the more serious linux gurus to help you (I'm sure there's
a newsgroup that can help you set it up right).

> > Dump XP and install 2000.
> >

> I don't want to buy a 2000.

Who does?

> >> But the data is safe. I just don't want to have the trouble to
> >> reinstall a lot of things, mainly games like Sims 2, that take
> >> an enormous time with boring CD-switch.
> >
> > Boo hoo.  You can't take the time to reinstall all your games.
Waaaah.

> No. English is not my mother tongue, but it seems that _want_
> is not _can_ :-P
>
> >> The XP OS is in a different physical HD.
> >
> > Dump it, reformat as a compressed NTFS drive and install 2000.
> >

> This is the worst case scenario! I would have to acquire another
> buggy OS and then have Windows/Linux totally separated.

Best case scenario.  Windows 2000 has fewer problems than XP, has less
garbage tacked on, less bloat, less anonying changes, and greater
compatablity.  It's always better to keep your O/S's seperated, and
your data separated.

> >> Hmmm... Could it be that somehow this is not a Windows bug or
> >> hardware bug but a _Linux bug_? Somehow Linux turned the partition
> >> from Windows-visible to Windows-invisible?
> >
> > Yes.
> >

> If Linux did it, then Linux can fix it :-P

Bssst.

> But I still think it was not a software bug, but a hardware bug.

Fat32 = Dos Norton Utilities