On 27/07/2006, at 8:02 AM, Alberto Monteiro wrote:

Charlie Bell wrote:

Some people have c-sections because they can schedule them
round their yoga, or because they need to fit childbirth
into a certain period of the financial year for tax or
government incentive reasons,

The above reasons do not exist - at least here.

Not yet. But apparently UK, USA and Australia they do. Odd, isn't it.

or to replace the uncertain risks of childbirth with the
calculated  risks of an operation.

Yes, this is the major (logically justifiable) reason for so
many C-sections here in Brazil. The other half is that
C-sections optimize the doctor's times, both the obstetrician
and the pediatrician - and this is a scarce resource, worth
optimizing!

Yes, important to make sure they can fit a whole round of golf in. ;)

Given reliable artificial womb technology financially on
a par with or not substantially more than the cost of
childbirth, the risks and convenience mean that  it would
be taken up. How many, not sure, but  it would be widespread.

Specially if gay men decide to have children. So, maybe we will
have the hellish opposite scenario of the lesbian utopia: a world
where most people are gay men :-/

LOL

Or we'll just have a 50:50 world, where 10% of people are homosexual. As we do now.

Charlie