Brother John said:

Why would any adult not want to have children? Are they not a source of almost infinite joy in the lives of those who have them? Are they not great treasures? To pass up a chance for a child is like walking by a 100 dollar bill on the sidewalk and not leaning down to pick it up. Only the barren and lonely do not have children. It is a sad situation for any person to be in.

Well, it's just possible, I guess, that some of us don't think that children are a lifestyle accessory designed purely to make us happy.

It seems to me that having children is a very serious investment of time and money and that I shouldn't have them until I have a fairly good probability of being able to give them a better life than I've had. It also seems to me that the opportunity cost of having children is not being able to invest that time and money in other projects that will make the future a better place not just for as yet unconceived children but for everybody. And when I do have children, it will be with the confidence that I can provide them with an excellent start in life rather than merely, y'know, because I kinda felt like it. If I never feel that I can be an adequate parent, then I simply won't have children at all.

I must say it stuns and amazes and disappoints me that anyone could think otherwise.

Rich