At 09:32 AM Thursday 8/31/2006, David Hobby wrote:

[snip for brevity]

The issue I'm mulling over is, how should the larger society
deal with these small self-isolating groups?  I'd argue that
there is a moral duty to make sure that individuals would
have a path to leave them, but that otherwise they should
be left pretty much alone to go their own way.

                                ---David

Which brings us back to the reason for the charges against Jeffs: 12-y.o. girls are not necessarily able to "pretty much go their own way" if they don't want to be "married" against their will to 50-y.o. men. About the only option they might have would be if they had relatives who were not members of the FLDS group who could give them a place to live away from the group. And in some cases the leaders of groups like this have ordered violence against those relatives who have themselves "broken the covenant" or helped others to do so.

-- Ronn!  :)