The assumption is not that experts are always right, and not that new data
should not be the basis of a revaluation of the present consensus.  Rather,
it is that the consensus of the professionals in the field represents our
best understanding of the available data and analysis.

> The essence of peer  review has to do with assessment of evidence. Most
> reviewers try to be fair even  when they don't agree with the results
> of the paper. It is an imperfect process but it does better than most
> other ways of deciding things.

We agree substantially here.  The point of my post is to answer the question
of "what is the assumption."  JDG, of course, can correct me if I'm wrong. I
see the question as "what provides our best understanding of the available
information?"  Peer review is based on the assumption that the scientific
community does not operate on an inherently dogmatic or political basis.
While new ideas may not initially get all the credit they might objectively
deserve, the fact that additional data tends to support the correct theory
results in the consensus shifting towards good new ideas.

I think it might be helpful to look at several examples before reapplying
this principal to the 9-11 conspiracy theories.  These examples will be
listed in increasing confidence in the scientific consensus.  They are:

1) Global Warming
2) Cold Fusion
3) Young Earth

1) Global Warming
Our understanding of global warming is still incomplete.  We have not
verified our climactic models the way, for example, we have verified
numerical models that predict responses of electromagnetic systems.  The
various models have assumptions built in.  Different models have different
results because they are based on slightly different assumption sets.

We do not have a complete set of data.  Our data sets from before 1850 are
incomplete, and depend on some assumptions concerning the properties of
layers of ice that have been recovered from glaciers.  Our recent surface
temperature measurements suffer, to some extent, from the heat island
effect.  Until recently, there was a significant discrepancy between the
satellite data and the surface data.

Yet, given all these uncertainties, a consensus has formed, and is
improving.  About 5 years ago, it was generally agreed that the human
induced global warming would have a -0.5C to 4.5C effect over the next
century.  Now, there is general consensus that the effect is 1.0C to 3.0C
effect.

However, there are professionals who are outside of the consensus.  Some
folks still think the effects will be next to zero or very high (>=5C). They
site different difficulties with data sets, different unknowns, etc.

These folks should not be considered crackpots.  Rather, I'd see them as
holding several sigma positions on the spectrum of scientific understanding.
Do I think that their views are influenced by their political beliefs?  Yes,
that's my opinion.  Yet, I don't think that they hold impossible positions.
The chance that the consensus may move one way or another to include their
positions within the limits of the consensus is small, in my opinion, but
not close to zero.

2) Cold Fusion
When Ponds and Fleischman made their claims 15+ years ago, I was very
skeptical from the start.  Not one, but two previously unseen laws of
physics would have had to manifest themselves at a fairly high level...at
least compared to the levels we have been observing by that time.  Now,
after 15 years of their inability to either provide a recipe for duplication
of their observation, or duplicate the work themselves in a well controlled
environment, the scientific consensus that this was a spurious report is all
but universal.

IMHO, Ponds and Fleishman do deserve the title "crackpots."  First, if
validated, their results would have required overwhelming changes in the
theory of physics that would have dwarfed the changes made with the advent
of QM, Special Relativity, and General Relativity.  It would be hard to see
how modern physics would survive as a "special case" of the new theory.

Second, their results could not be replicated in a controlled environment.
Calorimeters have improved tremendously since the late '80s, and excess heat
in the amounts they originally reported should be very obvious now.  Yet,
it's still impossible to duplicate the results.

For their report of cold fusion to be accurate, the physics/chemistry
community would have to be practicing denial on a vast scale.  They would
have to deliberately ignore the evidence in front of their eyes.  Not just
one or a few, but basically everyone would have had to exhibit bad faith.

This is, of course, theoretically possible.  But, if one accepts this sort
of argument, it would be hard to refute any experimental claim.

One other thing worth noting here is that it is far more likely that cold
fusion will be found by some unknown technique in the future than it is that
Ponds and Fleishman actually have demonstrated it.  The former only requires
some unlikely future input data, while the latter requires a phenomenal
breakdown in the scientific method as well as some unlikely input data that
has already been taken.

3) Young Earth

Quoting JDG:

>> This argument is very similar to the argument used by Creationists when
>> I start pointing out the tremendous geological evidence against the
>> young-Earth hypothesis.

This got me to thinking about the requirements for both the 9-11 conspiracy
theories and for Creationism.  One that is very similar is the total
breakdown of the scientific method, which is also required for the
acceptance of cold fusion.  This is where I see the arguments as similar.  I
think that a young earth (<10k years old) would require something more than
cold fusion would.

It isn't just one area of physics that would be rejected like the caloric
theory of heat, the failure of the scientific method would require failures
in a number of disciplines.  I tink a young earth is, more likely than a
classical universe (with a crystalian sphere made of aether rotating around
the center of the universe (the earth) once a day), but its existence is
more problematic than cold fusion.  In particular, if the present data
really supports a young earth instead of evolution and standard cosmology,
the psychological problems of virtually every scientist, including Charlie,
Rich and myself, would have to be overwhelming.  And, we'd have to be very
very lucky to have all these bad ideas result in things that work so well.
:-)

Looking at this progression, I see the 9-11 conspiracy theories matching
best with cold fusion.  Both require deliberate blindness to the obvious by
a wide range of professionals.  (I'm considering it blindness to the obvious
because both the big conspiracy sites: loose change and scholars for 9-11
truth  state that the data available to everyone shows that the conventional
explanations _cannot possibly_ be true. If a member of the general public is
expected to be able to make this determination from the publicly available
evidence, then all those well versed in the field must be ignoring something
that is obvious by the standards of folks well versed in the field.

This doesn't mean that we know exactly what happened, BTW.  There is still
enough room in the data for a scenario that we are not thinking about to be
the one that...after all is said and done...to be considered the best model.
I wouldn't expect a structural engineer to be able to properly determine the
relative importance of things like damage to the inner core, weakening of
the metal, differential heating stresses, the influence of the anti-sway
tank of water....by just looking at publicly available data.  I can't
imagine that Gautam's dad would make such a claim. But, the requirements to
determine that the data are consistent with planes crashing into the WTC,
fires resulting, and the towers collapsing without bombs are far weaker than
the requirements to determine the exact cause.

Finally, this post isn't really meant to counter your post so much as look
at the answer to the question you posed.  I think JDG's comparison is
valid...and that the basic assumption of peer review (that the professional
community as a whole is the least likely group to ignore the implications of
valid data) do apply to both the question of 9-11 conspiracy theories and
creationism.

Dan M.